Handicapped Parking at Texas Tech
Information from University Parking Services
To benefit from the use of parking spaces designed for persons with disabilities, an eligible faculty/staff member or student MUST display a state issued placard or license plate as well as a Texas Tech disability parking decal.
Persons with disabilities may be issued disability access parking permissions designed to assist them in campus mobility. Parking in spaces reserved for persons with disabilities requires the correct TTU decal and the appropriate state-issued placard or license plate. General rules for vehicle registration still apply; refer to Section VI.E.1 in the main section of the Regulations.
Vehicles displaying valid TTU disability decals must park in designated disability spaces. If all disability spaces in a lot are taken, the vehicle may be parked only in the following areas, which are listed in priority order:
a. Visitor space
b. Time limit space
c. Area Reserved space
For more information and to apply for a parking permit, visit the University Parking Services website.
Information from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
Students wishing to utilize handicapped parking spaces on campus must first have a state issued placard from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. This will require an application form to be signed by the student's physician as well as a notary public. A small fee is also required. Students are advised to access the TX DMV website for additional details.
How do I apply for my placard?
To apply for a new "permanent" (blue) placard or "temporary" (red) placard, you must:
- Ask your doctor to complete the Disability Statement section of the application
- Complete the rest of the application
- Submit the application and payment to your county tax office
To renew a "permanent" (blue) placard, you must:
- Complete the Affidavit portion of a new application (not the disability statement), including the signature of the applicant
- Submit a copy of the original application, along with the new application to your county tax office. If you do not have a copy of your application, you may also submit your expiring placard(s) to your county tax office.
Placards for permanent disabilities must be renewed every four years. Placards for temporary disabilities are valid for six months or until your disability ends, whichever comes first, and cannot be renewed. You will need to apply for a new placard if your temporary disability extends beyond the six-month limit.
What do I do with my application?
Complete your application form, submit a payment (if required) in the form of a personal check, money order or cashier's check to your local County Tax Assessor-Collector's office. Do not mail cash.
- Parking placards may be issued to persons with a permanent or temporary disability. There is no fee for a placard issued to a person with a permanent disability, and a $5 fee (per placard) if issued to a person with a temporary disability
- Limit one  placard for persons with Disabled Person license plates. Limit two  placards for persons with no Disabled Person license plates
Lubbock County Tax Office Information
916 Main St., Ste. 102
Lubbock, TX 79401-3412
P.O. Box 10536
Lubbock, TX 79408-3536