Red Raider Orientation
The ACCUPLACER exam is a state approved test for TSI compliance. This test is offered daily throughout orientation. You may come as a walk-in between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Seating is limited, but you will be worked into a testing lab as soon as a seat is available. You must take the exam before you can register for any classes. Therefore, we suggest that you arrive early on the first day of orientation. Please note that shuttles will not run until 11 a.m. Be sure you bring your driver's license and your payment with you to test.
There are 4 sections to the Accuplacer:
- Approved test for the Texas Success Initiative (TSI). TSI Compliance Office link is http://www.depts.ttu.edu/registrar/tsi/
- TX WritePlacer Electronic Test- This is the essay portion of the test and the only portion that is timed. The student has 1 hour to type the essay.
- Sentence Skills- This section also has 20 questions and measures your understanding of sentence structure. Some questions are multiple choice and other questions will require you to construct original sentences.
- Reading Comprehension- This section has 20 questions and tests your ability to comprehend what is read from passages. This section is multiple choice.
- Elementary Algebra- This section is 12 questions and measures your ability to perform basic algebra functions.
- Scores are printed immediately after testing.
- The test is untimed, except for the essay section which is timed for one hour.
- This test is adaptive, which means that the computer automatically selects which questions are given specifically based on the answer choices to prior questions.
- The ACCUPLACER may be attempted more than once, but only once per day.
Steps to follow for Accuplacer testing:
- Report to 214 West Hall anytime between 8:00 A.M - 1:00 P.M. M-F.
- Pay $50.00 check money order or credit/debit card.
- Present a valid government issued picture I.D. such as a license or passport.
Fees are subject to change.