Red Raider Orientation
What can CLEP do for you?
Expedite graduation...decrease financial load.
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a nationally standardized credit by exam program. Knowledgeable students may earn college credit in specified subjects allowing them to take more advanced courses. Please note that CLEP testing is optional and is offered year round on a weekly basis. CLEP testing will be available daily during Red Raider Orientation. Tests are computer-based and scores are received immediately for advisement and registration purposes. The standards for achieving course credit are set by each individual university. Please see below a list of CLEP courses and scores accepted by Texas Tech University. For a full list of CLEP exams Texas Tech accepts Click Here
Academic Testing Services can no longer accepts the $80.00 payment to CLEP. You must register and pay the $80.00 CLEP fee by visiting https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount Your online registration does NOT include your appointment at Academic Testing Services and you will be required to pay the $49.00 payment to Texas Tech on the test day. When purchasing your CLEP exam, your first name and last name must MATCH EXACTLY as they appear on your government issued ID when checking in to Academic Testing Services for your exam.
CLEP exams will run from 9:00-2:00 starting every hour for each day of orientation. Individuals will be accommodated on a first come, first serve basis. Seating is limited. You must show up 30 minutes prior to a test session. (example: For the 9:00 a.m. CLEP session, you must be in West Hall, Room 214 at 8:30 a.m.) Be sure you bring your driver's license and your 2 forms of payment.
Steps to follow for CLEP testing:
- Visit https://clepportal.collegeboard.org/myaccount to pay the $80.00 fee to CLEP. This must be done prior to arriving at Academic Testing Services for a CLEP exam. You will receive a voucher which you must bring on the test day.
- Report to 214 West Hall 30 minutes early prior to testing time.
- Pay $49.00 to Texas Tech whis is paid the day of the exam. (check, money order, credit/debit cards)
- Present two forms of I.D. (government issued driver's license, passport, school I.D.)
Fees are subject to change.
Essay for Freshman English and Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
Students must take the CLEP-S: College Composition Modular multiple choice section and score a 55 on it to earn the opportunity to attempt the essay portion. If the multiple choice section is taken somewhere other than Texas Tech, "official" scores must be received at TTU prior to orientation. Allow a minimum of 1 week for Texas Tech to receive "official" scores. No other scores will be accepted.
Students must take the CLEP-S: Analyzing and Interpreting Literature multiple choice section and score a 52 on it to earn the opportunity to attempt the essay portion. If the multiple choice section is taken somewhere other than Texas Tech, "official" scores must be received at TTU prior to orientation. Allow a minimum of 1 week for Texas Tech to receive "official" scores. No other scores will be accepted.
The essay is an on-campus writing exam and must be taken on the Texas Tech Campus at the Academic Testing Services office located in West Hall, Room 214. There will be multiple sessions offered daily throughout orientation. Seating is limited.
Essays will take two or three days for results. Essays taken after Day 1 may not be available during orientation. Academic Testing Services will notify you by e-mail when results become available. Students may choose to utilize the on-line add/drop procedures once they receive essay scores.
- Sample test questions can be downloaded at www.collegeboard.com
- CLEP exams are not offered online. The exam must be taken in an approved CLEP testing center.
- Results are based on a scaled score; therefore one point does not equal one question. The highest score one can receive on a CLEP exam is an 80.
- If taking the College Composition Modular Exam or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, there will be an extra fee of $30.00 for the on-campus essay that will be graded by graders in the Texas Tech English Department.
- Please allow 2 hours to complete each testing session. Students are allowed 90 minutes to complete one exam. The additional 30 minutes are required for registration and tutorial.
- Students enrolled in the Rawls College of Business Administration should check with their Advisor regarding which business exams are appropriate for their business major
- If you test with Academic Testing Services, scores will be directly reported to the Texas Tech Registrar.
- CLEP scores do not affect a student's GPA. Credit will be recorded as "CLP" on a student's transcript for the Texas Tech equivalent course for which credit was earned.
- If "official" scores are being sent from College Board, allow a minimum of 1 week for Texas Tech to receive them.