Red Raider Orientation
- Students may attempt credit for Freshman level English courses by taking CLEP-S: College Composition Modular and scoring 55 for the opportunity to attempt the essay portion. Credit is determined by the score received on the essay exam. See the chart below for required scores.
|TTU Courses for Which
Credit Can Be Earned
|Standardized Test Used||Minimum Score||Semester Hours|
|*ENGL 1301||CLEP-S: College Composition Modular &||55|
|a departmental essay score of:||3 or 4||3|
|*ENGL 1301, 1302||CLEP-S: College Composition Modular &||55|
|a departmental essay score of:||3 or 4||6|
|*The multiple choice score of 55 on the College Composition Modular CLEP earns an examinee the opportunity to sit for a 90-minute on-campus writing exam. The writing exam grade will determine the amount, if any, of credit hours awarded for Essentials of College Rhetoric (English 1301) and/or Advanced College Rhetoric (English 1302).|
- Students may choose to take the objective part of the CLEP exam at another testing facility; however, the "official" scores must be sent to Texas Tech University and received prior to taking the essay. Allow at least 1 week for "official" scores to reach our campus.
- It is the student's responsibility to make sure they are taking the correct CLEP if taking at another school.
- An additional fee of $30.00 (check, money order, or credit/debit card) will be required for the essay.
- The essay is an on-campus writing exam and must be taken on the Texas Tech Campus at the Academic Testing Services office located in West Hall, Room 214.
- During orientation, multiple essay sessions will be available daily. Seating is limited.
- Testing on the 1st day of orientation guarantees 3rd day results. If you test on the 2nd or 3rd day of orientation, results may not be available for a few days. As soon as results become available, the Academic Testing Services office will notify you by e-mail. Students may choose to utilize the on-line add/drop procedures once they receive essay scores.