Teaching Academy Membership Application Guide
New Member Applications are closed on April 1st
The following guidelines for the online Teaching Academy New Member Application are provided for your review so that you may prepare your materials and have them ready before you start the online application.
Applications will only be accepted online; again, the following information is meant to be a guide.
The Teaching Academy application is a separate and independent process from applications for other purposes (e.g., teaching awards). Carefully review this guide to be sure your application specifically addresses the criteria and conforms to format/page limit requirements. Applications that do not conform to requirements will not be considered by the Selection Committee.
In addition to the supporting documents outlined below, you will be asked to provide general biographical information as well as the names of and contact information for 2 recommenders. Please note that these individuals must be members of the Teaching Academy. Guidelines for recommendation letters are available through a link on the Membership Criteria website. (Note: Teaching Academy members may support only one candidate per year).
Supporting Documents (Uploaded in 2 PDF Documents)
The combined application is limited to 20 pages. Each section is equally weighted. Please upload a pdf document containing items a – f below with clearly labeled sections in the specified order:
Supporting Document One:
A. Teaching Philosophy Statement (not to exceed 2 pages): Provide your teaching philosophy along with specific, current classroom examples of how this philosophy informs your teaching.
B. Evidence the applicant advocates for teaching excellence (not to exceed 2 pages): Discuss the things you have done to speak for or represent a positive message about teaching, such as:
- Participation in university teaching projects (Open Teaching Concept)
- Participation in multi-institutional teaching projects (Transparency Project)
- Membership in teacher-focused organization
- Participation in teaching related forums (on and off campus)
- Applying for/received teaching award
- Attending TLPDC presentations
- Attending conferences related to teaching (Burns Conference, Advancing Teaching and Learning Conference)
C. Evidence the applicant promotes service related to the teaching mission (not to exceed 4 pages):
May include activities such as:
- Peer reviews for faculty
- Service to teaching related communities
- Reviewer for teaching related conference/journal
- Judges/evaluates participants of teaching programs (TEACH Program presentations)
Supporting Document Two:
D. Evidence the applicant shares knowledge about teaching strategies and their implementation (not to exceed 4 pages):
- Presented a workshop about teaching
- Published an article about teaching
- Written an opinion article
- Mentored a novice faculty in teaching
- TeMPO participant
- Presented a TLPDC workshop
- Mentored graduate students
- Led graduate student development presentations
E. Evidence of Teaching Excellence (not to exceed 4 pages): Items that might be included are:
- Peer observations
- Creative assignments
- Sample syllabus or an excerpt from a sample syllabus
- Descriptions of innovative techniques
- Course/curriculum development
- Experiential learning (Service Learning)
- Recognition received for teaching excellence/awards received
F. Evidence of Teaching Excellence from Students (not to exceed 4 pages):
Include a one-page summary of student evaluations from the past three years for each course taught that lists:
- Course/section number and name
- Designation as undergraduate or graduate level enrollment
- Responses from student evaluations for each course/section
- Departmental and college comparisons.
- (Please do not include raw data. You may also include up to three letters from former students.)
If you have any questions or concerns about the application process please contact Kerri Pike at the Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development Center (TLPDC), Tel:(742-0133), or Dr. Shane Blum, Tel:(806) 834-8811.