UR Travel Funding
The Center for Transformative Undergraduate Experiences (TrUE) provides travel funding for TTU undergraduate students to offset costs associated with presenting at a academic or professional conference.
Applications for undergraduate research (UR) travel funding may be submitted in any amount, up to $1,000. Students must be presenting their own original research, scholarship, or creative activity at the conference for which funding is requested to be eligible for TRUE undergraduate research (UR) travel funding.
Funding is limited and early submission is advised. Please review the full list of restrictions, requirements, and follow-up responsibilities to ensure you able to fulfill all stipulations of the funding process prior to completing the conference travel funding form. Incomplete travel applications or applications that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Students will receive decision notifications regarding UR travel funding applications by email once the travel funding request is received and reviewed by TrUE staff. Funding is allocated according to Texas Tech University and State of Texas travel regulations, and final approval of all committed funds will be left to the discretion of TrUE. Once funding is depleted for the fiscal year, no further travel funding requests will be considered or awarded.
Students receiving funding will be required to meet with TrUE staff once prior to travel to complete necessary paperwork and once upon their return to complete the reimbursement process.
- UR travel funding requests are limited to one per student per academic year, based on funding availability at the time of application submission.
- Travel funding is limited for group presentations and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. One UR travel funding application should be submitted and include the names of all students who will travel with the group.
- Undergraduate students may submit applications for UR travel funding up to a maximum of $1000 per individual or group presentation.
- No more than $1000 in total travel funding awards will be made to students from the same faculty mentor/research lab during each funding period.
- Students must apply for and be awarded UR travel funding prior to travel to be eligible for TrUE travel funding reimbursement.
- Cash advances will not be provided. Students will receive a reimbursement after travel.
- TrUE travel funding may be used for ONLY the following in any combination:
- conference registration fees - while conference registration fees may be reimbursed after the fact as part of the travel voucher, TrUE prefers to pay the registration fee with a departmental credit card during the pre-travel meeting.
- airfare (and 1 checked bag) or fuel expenses if driving - we do not reimburse mileage or rental cars
- transportation expenses for travel between the destination airport and conference hotel (i.e. taxi, Uber, shuttle)
- UR travel funding applicants must be currently enrolled full-time undergraduates at TTU and in good standing during the semester of travel.
- Students must provide documentation which verifies their presentation of scholarly work (either paper, poster, oral, or performance presentation format) at the academic or professional conference for which funding is requested at the time of application.
- Funded applicants must present their scholarly work during the annual TTU Undergraduate Research Conference (URC) that occurs in the spring semester following their travel.*
- Students must make a concerted effort to meet with TrUE and complete a travel application at least 30 days prior to expected travel. For students traveling outside the United States, a meeting 30 days prior to expected travel is REQUIRED in addition to following the procedures outlined on the International Affairs webpages.
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor overseeing the UR project to be presented is required for all travel funding applications. Your faculty mentor may email their letter of support to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students must meet with TrUE's Unit Coordinator for Undergraduate Research once prior to travel to complete necessary paperwork and once upon their return to complete the reimbursement process.
Responsibilities After Travel
Please note: Failure to comply with post-travel commitments will disqualify the awarded student from current and future TrUE funding.
Within 5 business days from their return from conference, students approved for UR travel funding must:
- Meet with TrUE's Unit Coordinator for Undergraduate Research and submit original receipts and supporting documents to complete the reimbursement process
- Submit a thank you letter to TrUE for travel funding.
- Provide a photo of their presentation by email to email@example.com.
- Present scholarly work during the annual TTU Undergraduate Research Conference (URC) that occurs in the spring semester following your travel.*
Please be advised that, should you receive an award notification prior to the abstract
submission deadline for the 2019 TTU Undergraduate Research Conference, you will still
be required to present your work there. Because of this, you should make plans to
submit your abstract for the URC by January 24, 2019.
If you receive your funding notification after the URC 2019 abstract submission deadline you will have the option to present at the 2020 URC, given you have not already submitted your abstract for the 2019 URC.
*December Graduate Exception
Effective December 1, 2019 December graduates will have an additional option to fulfill
the funding's URC presentation requirement as it may not be possible for them to return
to campus to present at the TTU Undergraduate Research Conference the following spring
If you choose, you may submit a reflective paper in lieu of presenting at the URC that occurs in the following spring semester.
The reflective paper must be 300-500 words discussing how your undergraduate research experience and presenting at a professional conference has impacted your academic career and future educational or employment plans.
2018-2019 TrUE Undergraduate Scholar Travel Funding Application
2018-2019 Travel Funding
We are currently accepting applications for travel occurring between September 1, 2018 - August 9, 2019. To submit your request, please complete the form below.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Pease note: Should you receive an award notification prior to the abstract submission deadline for the 2019 TTU Undergraduate Research Conference, you will be required to present your work there. Because of this, you should plan to submit your abstract by the URC 2019 abstract submission deadline.
If you receive a funding notification after the URC 2019 abstract submission deadline you will have the option to present at the 2020 URC, given you have not already submitted your abstract for the 2019 URC.*
URC abstract submission due: January 24, 2019
2019 URC presentation dates: April 2-3, 2019