- Texas Tech University Independent School District
- Drane Hall | Texas Tech University | PO Box 42191 | 2515 15th Street | Lubbock, TX 79409
- local: 806.742.7101
- toll-free: 800.692.6877
TTUISD Staff Directory
Sam Oswald - Executive Director
Sam Oswald is the Executive Director of TTUISD and has worked for Texas Tech University in many different capacities over the past eight years, first serving as Associate Director of Curriculum and later as Assistant Academic Dean for University College. Previously, he was Director of the Office of Planning and Assessment for the university.
Sam earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Commercial Art and Art Education from Eastern New Mexico University, a Master of Arts degree in Commercial Graphic Design from West Texas A&M University and is certified in the State of New Mexico for K-12 Art. He is an artist and paints southwestern, historical and architectural themes. His preferred medium is watercolor and egg tempera.
Jim Taliaferro - Superintendent
Dr. James "Jim" Taliaferro came to TTUISD as superintendent in August of 2012. Prior to this he served as superintendent of schools in Stratford, Texas, for five years and in Slaton, Texas, for seven years. He also served as campus principal at Stratford Texas for 13 years after directing bands in Stratford and Gruver, Texas, as well as Sublette, Kansas.
The opportunity to work with a district that is on the cutting edge of distance and online education was appealing and brought him to TTUISD. He enjoys serving students who need alternatives to the traditional school setting and helping them achieve their dreams.
Cary Sallee - Director of Operations
Cary Sallee has worked in the Lubbock area for many years. During college, he worked at Dillard's Department Store as a salesman and was promoted to Buyer Sales Manager after completing his degree at Texas Tech. In 1994, he was hired as a store manager for Barnes and Nobles Booksellers and opened the original Lubbock location. He also worked for AT&T as an Area Manager in the Lubbock Call Center. After spending nine years with AT&T, he moved to TTUISD as the Director of Student Services. He was then promoted to Director of Operations.
Cary holds a bachelor's degree in finance and a minor in real estate from Texas Tech University. Being a Tech graduate, Cary always wanted to have the opportunity to work for the university. The Director of Student Services for TTUISD was a perfect match with his prior experience in retail and telecommunications. Cary feels that a quality education gives everyone the ability to compete in the global market, and that it is the most important gift TTUISD can instill in the world today. He loves that TTUISD is educating students worldwide.
Ethel Russell - Director of Academics | Principal
Ethel Russell has been working in education for most of her life. She began her career as a teacher and moved into counseling. She then served as an Assistant Principal in San Angelo, Texas. She currently is Principal /Director of Academics for TTUISD. Ethel holds a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and Special Education from Purdue University. She then attended Angelo State University where she received a master's degree in Guidance and Counseling and Mid Management.
After relocating to Lubbock from San Angelo, Texas, Ethel applied for a job as a Senior Counselor with TTUISD. Ethel is thankful for the teamwork and camaraderie displayed at TTUISD. She enjoys the fact that everyone at TTUISD is working together to reach the same goal – to offer the best product possible to educate the world.
Jared Lay - Director of Recruitment & Camps
Half man and half legend, Jared Lay is the Director of Recruitment and Camps. He is originally from Melrose, New Mexico, but received his bachelor's degree in agriculture business/business administration at Northwestern Oklahoma State University. From there he went on to earn his master's degree in agriculture education at Texas Tech University. He has served in many different roles, from a business instructor to career center assistant director, and is excited to make TTUISD his new home. Here, Jared's main goals are to recruit students to pursue higher education at Texas Tech University and create exciting learning experiences through academic camps. He believes learning can be fun, and that's what he wants to show students. TTUISD had a great camp this year, and Jared is working on others to not only expand the age range, but also the countries TTUISD serves. His hope is to design a camp where American students, Brazilian students and Chinese students can interact and learn from one another, and Jared is looking forward to paving that path.
Jeff Oldham - Assistant Principal | International
Jeff Oldham is the Assistant Principal for TTUISD’s International Partner Schools around the world. Jeff joined TTUISD in June 2014 after living with his family in the country of Belize for three years. Jeff has been working in education for over 20 years. After graduating from Texas Tech University, he started his career as a teacher and a coach in the Richardson school district, outside of Dallas, Texas. He earned his master’s degree in Educational Administration from Texas A&M University - Commerce. Jeff was promoted into different administrative roles in Richardson, including the assistant principal of Parkhill Junior High and then the principal of the Lake Highlands Freshman Center. After 12 years in the Richardson schools, Jeff and his family moved to Celina, Texas, where he served as the high school principal for four years. He and his family moved to Belize in 2011 to work and serve the community of San Pedro. They are now back in Texas and happy to be a part of the Texas Tech Red Raider family again!
Diane Patrick - Senior Analyst
- Cari Moye - Assistant Principal | Counselor
- Brenda Shupe - Senior Academic Advisor
- Karla Steffey - Senior Academic Advisor
- Lisa Stone - Senior Academic Advisor
Student Support Communications
- Nora Lane - Unit Supervisor | Student Support
- Linda Bravo - Senior Specialist
- Ida Mata - Senior Business Assistant
- Jeanette McWhorter - Senior Specialist
- David Slama - Senior Specialist
- Delia Arteaga-Flores - Senior Specialist
- Pam Butler - Unit Manager | District Testing Coordinator
- Tonya Gober - Principal | Elementary & Middle School
- Kelly Sinclair - Unit Coordinator | Registrar
Curriculum - Development
- Chyrel Mayfield - Section Manager | Curriculum
- Bill Bukowski - Senior Editor
- Michelle Demel - Senior Editor
- Virginia Downs - Senior Editor
- Marian Gossett - Senior Editor
- Shelley Kemp - Senior Editor
- Randy Paton - Senior Editor
Curriculum - Production
- James Day - Section Manager | Production
- Ismahan Arslan-Ari - Senior Editor
- Catherine Buscemi - Senior Editor
- Courtney Line - Senior Editor
- Alan Michels - Senior Editor
- Jacob Salazar - Senior Technician
- Leslie Smith - Senior Editor
- Sharon Andrew - Unit Supervisor | Fulfillment
- Vanessa Bustillos - Senior Specialist
- Donnice Fell - Senior Specialist
- Etta Harris - Senior Specialist
- Alberta Hollins - Senior Specialist
- Ryan Nunnally - Unit Coordinator | International
- Nina Ramos - Senior Business Assistant
- Betty Sanders - Senior Office Assistant
- Jessica Woodard - Senior Specialist
- James Preiss - Section Manager | Finance
- Helene Chamberlin - Unit Coordinator
Communications and Marketing
- Bree Walker Uline - Section Manager | Communications & Marketing
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Closed for the following holidays:
Dec. 22, 2014 - Jan. 1, 2015