TTUISD GED Testing Center
ATTENTION TEST TAKERS:
The current version of the GED test is expiring at the end of 2013.
Scores will also expire if test-takers don’t finish and pass all five sections of the test by the end of 2013.
If a test-taker’s scores expire, they will have to re-take all five parts of the GED, regardless if they passed previous tests.
The GED Testing Service at Texas Tech University provides a testing center for those interested in completing their GED tests for certification and diplomas. Individuals must pre-register with TTUISD for testing dates to be offered one Saturday a month for the 2012-2013 academic year.
TTUISD and GED Testing Service are part of a community outreach program to better serve the needs of those who are seeking a GED testing site in the Lubbock area.
GED Connection is a series of 39 half hour episodes designed to help those prepare for their GED. It covers all five subjects with special attention to the calculator used on the exam, the essay, special answer formats, and tips for test day. Teachers and experts in each field not only cover the skills needed for the tests, but explain how the skills acquired from the GED exam are important in life and work. All the Texas PBS stations are airing the series through the end of the year as part of the Texas Graduate Initiative. KTTZ-TV Channel 5 airs GED Connection weeknights at 12 midnight and 12:30 a.m. The series may also be viewed online via the following link: http://kttz.org/texas-graduate-initiative.
Need Financial Assistance? You may be eligible to have the cost of the exam(s) covered by funds available through Workforce Solutions South Plains. For more information, contact Workforce Solutions toll-free at 1.866.765.5038, or visit www.spworkforce.org.
The General Education Development (GED) certificate is widely accepted as an equivalent to a high school diploma. The tests are designed to measure the knowledge and skills of a High School graduate. This certificate is earned by passing the official GED Tests. We only offer the tests in English. There are five tests in the areas of Writing, Reading, Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics. The questions in each of these tests require you to use general knowledge and thinking skills. You can choose to take all of the tests at one time or only take some of the subject area tests. The tests may be taken in any order you choose.
To successfully complete the GED certificate, you must make a minimum score of 410 on each of the 5 tests and a minimum total score of 2250 in all five subjects. If you do not pass one of the tests the first time, you may retest two more times, with a total of three opportunities per contract year. If you pass all five of the tests (with a minimum score of 410) but do not earn the minimum 2250 required to earn the GED Certificate, you may retake any one of the tests in an effort to reach 2250 points. To earn the minimum required score of 2250, you must earn an average score of 450 on each test.
Total Testing Time: 7 Hours
Total Number of Tests: 5 Tests
|Subject Area||Type of Test||Time Limit|
|LA Writing, Part 1||50 questions||75 minutes|
|LA Writing, Part 2||Essay||45 minutes|
|Social Studies||50 questions||70 minutes|
|Science||50 questions||80 minutes|
|LA Reading||40 questions||65 minutes|
|Math, Part1||25 questions with calculator||45 minutes|
|Math, Part 2||25 questions - no calculator||45 minutes|
Eligibility for GED testing is established by the Texas Education Code, Section 7.111, which states that a resident of the state who has not graduated from high school is eligible to take the high school equivalency test in accordance with rules promulgated by the state Board of Education. GED eligibility requirements are also defined in the Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 2, Chapter 89, Subchapter C, Rule §89.43.To take the GED tests, you must be able to meet all of the following requirements:
- be a resident of the State. You will need to bring a Texas Driver's License as proof of residency when you register and when you take the test.
- not be enrolled in school; and
- not be a high school graduate.
- have a Government-issued photo-identification including a current State driver's license, military ID or passport. An expired State driver's license, school ID, credit/debit cards, birth certificate, Child Find ID cards, learner's permit or Social Security Cards are not acceptable forms of identification.
- be 18 years of age.If you are under the age of 18, you are required to attend school (Texas Education Code Chapter 25, Section 25.085) unless you qualify for an exemption (Texas Education Code Chapter 25, Section 25.086).
You can test at 17, if: (See Texas Education Code)
- You are a resident of Texas (See above for Residency Requirements);
- You are not enrolled in school (Exception: you may be enrolled in an approved in-school GED preparation program);
- You are not a high school graduate; and
- You must have parental/guardian permission.
You can test at 16, if:(See Texas Education Code)
- The applicant is a resident of Texas(See above for Residency Requirements);
- In the care of a state agency or under a court order* or in a Job Corps training program;
- Is not enrolled in school; and
- Is not a high school graduate.
*IMPORTANT:The court order must meet the finding as required by Section 45.054 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. The court has to assume jurisdiction of a student under the truancy laws, find a violation and then order him to take the GED test. If there is no finding as required by Section 45.054 of the Code of Criminal Procedure or jurisdiction under the truancy laws, the student will not be allowed to test.
Step 1: Complete the GED Demographic Form.
Complete a GED Demographic Form and create your record as a GED test-taker if you have never taken a GED test(s) before or have taken the test(s) in another state. View step-by-step directions for completing the Demographics Form . You must complete this form BEFORE you come to register at our office. When completing the final section of the Demographic Form, enter Center Number 1252.
Step 2: Select a Testing Date.
Click here to view testing dates.
Step 3: Register. Note registration deadlines.
- Complete the registration form and bring it to our office Tuesday-Thursday during registration hours. The deadline for registering is noon on the Tuesday BEFORE the Saturday test date. You must register in person at our Testing Center located at Drane Hall, 15th and University Avenue, in room 170F. Click here for a map and driving directions.
- Registration Hours:
8:00 am - 1:30 pm
2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
- Registration Hours:
- When you come to our office to register, bring:
- the completed registration form.
- $115 testing fee. The testing fee must be paid at the time of registration. We accept cash or credit cards. No personal checks will be accepted. No refunds will be made on cancellations. If you are re-testing, you will pay a re-testing fee. The fee is based on whether you previously took the test through TTUISD's testing center or another testing center.
- If you are 18 years or older: Government issued photo ID (current, not expired, State driver's license with your current address, military ID or passport) and Social Security Card.
- If you are 17: Government issued ID (current, not expired, State driver's license with your current address, military ID or passport), Social Security Card, Parent/ Guardian permission and school withdrawal form.
- If you are 16: Court Order and Parent/ Guardian permission.
You must follow Steps 1-3 above and bring a copy of your GED test results when you come to our office to register. You will also need to pay a re-testing fee.
Special accommodations are available for individuals with documented disabilities. Arrangements for special accommodations must be made at the time of registration. Contact our office for more information.
Step 4: Prepare for the exam(s).
- Review sample test questions and preview the math videos.
Taking the Exam(s)
- You must arrive 15 minutes prior to each scheduled test. Late admittance is not allowed.
- You must bring a government-issued photo ID that has your current address.
- DO NOT BRING THE FOLLOWING TO EXAM:
cell phones, watches, pagers, portable music players, calculators, cameras, hand held electronic games, or any other electronic devices, purses, backpacks, tote bags, food, textbooks, dictionaries, notebooks, unauthorized computational devices, supplies, scratch paper, jackets, coats, hats, or other items. You may bring your wallet if it fits into your pocket.
- You must dress appropriately. Shirts must be tucked in. No sagging pants.
Fees & Payment Options
All fees are non-refundable.
Testing Fee: $115.00
This fee includes all five tests in the five subject areas. All 5 tests may be scheduled on one test date or they may be scheduled for individual test dates.
If you only need to take an individual test, you will need to pay $25 per test + $35 (includes TEA Certification, GEDTS and scoring).
$20 per subject (if you have previously taken the tests through TTUISD's testing center)
$25 per subject + $35 set-up fee (if you have previously taken the tests at another testing center)
We accept cash, money orders, cashier's checks or credit cards only. Cashier's checks and money orders should be payable to TTUISD GED Testing Center. No personal checks will be accepted. No refunds will be made on cancellations. Payments must be made on the day of registration.
Reschedule/Cancellation Fee: You must call 24 hours before your scheduled test date in order to cancel or reschedule. If you fail to call in advance, you will be charged a $16 fee per test to reschedule.
You may be eligible to have the cost of the exam(s) covered by funds available through the Texas Workforce Commission. For more information, contact the Texas Workforce Commission at 806.687.5627 or visit www.spworkforce.org.
Last Day to Register
|January 12, 2013||January 8, 2013||24 per test|
|February 9, 2013||February 5, 2013||24 per test|
|March 9, 2013||March 5, 2013||24 per test|
|April 13, 2013||April 9, 2013||24 per test|
|May 11, 2013||May 7, 2013||24 per test|
|June 8, 2013||June 4, 2013||24 per test|
|June 22, 2013 *||June 18, 2013||24 per test|
|July 13, 2013||July 9, 2013||24 per test|
|July 27, 2013 *||July 23, 2013||24 per test|
|August 3, 2013||July 31, 2013||24 per test|
|August 17, 2013 *||August 13, 2013||24 per test|
|September 28, 2013||September 24, 2013||24 per test|
|October 19, 2013||October 15, 2013||24 per test|
|November 16, 2013||November 12, 2013||24 per test|
|December 7, 2013||December 3, 2013||24 per test|
|December 14, 2013 *||December 10, 2013||24 per test|
* Will be opened for enrollment when the previous test date is at capacity.
TTUISD reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule testing dates.
|Check In||7:30 a.m. - 7:45 a.m.|
|Math||7:45 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. (10 minute break)|
|Social Studies||9:40 a.m. – 10:55 a.m. (15 minute break)|
|Reading||11:10 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. (10 minute break)|
|Lunch||12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (30 minutes)|
|Writing||1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. (10 minute break)|
|Science||3:10 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.|
TTUISD reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule testing times.
GED Tests are available in the following formats:
- Standard print: U.S.
- Large print: English language
- Audio cassettes: English language
The exam will be held in:
Doak Conference Center
15th and University Ave.
View our location on a map.
Videos & Sample TestsYes, you are allowed to use a calculator on Part 1 of the GED math exam.
View these math videos to learn about using a calculator on Part 1 of the GED math exam.
How to Use the Calculator
Alternate Format Gridding
The GED exam is scored in Austin by the University of Texas. The Texas Education Agency will mail your results directly to you in approximately 3-4 weeks.
To request a copy of your GED Certificate, please visit www.texged.com. You may pay for your certificate with a credit card or an electronic check.Please follow the directions below…
- Click on Texas GED Certificate/Transcript Search
- Enter your SSN and Date of Birth, click Search
- Click Order Certificate/Transcript
- Complete the form in its entirety
- Provide Requestor Name
- Provide payment information
- Click Continue Order
- Follow Printer Test Page Instructions to complete transaction and get certificate