Professional Development Opportunity: Wind Energy for Teachers
Learn the industry basics and the science behind the blades. Spend some time with energy company personnel and learn from the experts. A limited number of $500 scholarships (which covers the cost of the online course and the one-day excursion at TTU Reese) are available for Texas teachers.
This professional development opportunity includes an online learning component and field excursion. Lunch will be provided.
Take the online course Wind Energy 101.
Topics included are:
- Overview of the Wind Energy Industry
- The Basics of Energy and Electricity
- Basic Meteorology
- History of Wind Power
- Extracting Energy from the Wind
- Wind Turbine Technology
- Environmental Issues of Wind Energy Development Landowner
- Issues and Considerations for Wind Energy Development
- Wind Energy Utility Interface
- Wind Energy and the Electric Transmission Grid: Issues and Considerations
- Economics of Large Scale Wind Generation
- State and National Energy Policy
Coursework prepares teachers to teach material for several classes. Examples include:
Participate in a one-day excursion to Lubbock, Texas, to meet industry leaders.
Tour: April 2: 10:00-3:00
Lubbock - TTU Reese Center
Tour Day Includes:
- Lunch will be provided
- Q&A with wind energy expert
- Ideas for classroom activities
- Facilities tour
- Tour of Alstom Wind Turbine