Join Upward Bound
Watch the following video to find out more about Upward Bound.
Upward Bound typically recruits new students in the beginning of the fall and spring semester. Recruiters visit schools that are within a 50-mile radius of the Lubbock area and give presentations of what Upward Bound is and what it has to offer. Students are admitted into the program during their freshman or sophomore year and remain in the program until they graduate in the program. Students are recommended to the program by high school teachers and counselors, they then are selected on the basis of program academic potential and desire to pursue a higher education.
- Students must be considered a first generation student or have limited income resources.
- First generation means neither one of the student's natural or adoptive parents have a bachelors degree or higher.
- Depending on how many family members live in the household and family's income, the student may be classified as a limited income student
Students interested must submit the following:
- Photocopy of their high school transcripts
- Standardized test scores (i.e TAKS/STAAR,PSAT,SAT,ACT)
- Most recent report card
- Pre-application Interest card
- Essay Form (which may be submitted later)
- Recommendation form completed by a school official
If it is determined that you are eligible for the program, you will be asked to complete the full application.
The forms are then reviewed by Upward Bound staff. Selected students are interviewed along with their parents. Based on the interview and forms submitted, students may be admitted into the program.
Students admitted into the program are notified by letter sent to their home and high school counselor.