Upward Bound Program Offerings
Upward Bound Sessions
Texas Tech University Upward Bound offers great opportunities to its students during its academic year and summer components.
Two saturdays a month, UB participants attend academic sessions lead by program coordinators. Coordinators provide test preparation skills,financial literarcy education,admissions assistance, financial aid assistance and much more.
- Upward Bound students are given the opportunity to take classes at Texas Tech University for one summer session (approximately 5 weeks).
- Bridge (high-school graduates)- These students are enrolled in six(6) credit hours of university classes.
- Non-Bridge (current high-school students)- attend Upward Bound college-prep classes.
- Core Classes for Non-Bridge students- Math, Science, Literature/Composition, foreign language and several elective enrichment courses in which the students get to provide various services to the community.
After School Tutoring Program
TTU Upward Bound Programs (UB) provides direct after-school tutoring services to students in small groups (3-8 students) and individual sessions. After-School tutoring occurs on Monday through Thursday afternoons from 4:30-6:30pm (times vary at each location) at Lubbock High, Estacado High, Coronado High, Monterey High, Lubbock Cooper High and Frenship High schools. Tutoring services are also available during Academic Saturday sessions.
Students with a grade below 85 on their report cards will be required to attend tutoring for the entire 6-week period. Students may submit a progress report demonstrating improvement to be removed from required tutoring sessions. Tutors work closely with students, teachers, and UB Staff in supporting the academic development of students, ensuring students complete a rigorous curriculum, and in promoting a college going culture.
- College-Prep Classes
- College Tours
- Cultural Excursions
- Academic Advising
- Stipends ($20 per session)
- Financial Aid Advising
- Career Counseling
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities