The primary responsibility of the Section of Utilities is to provide manufactured utilities to the Texas Tech campus, Health Sciences Center, University Medical Center, Museum, and Fiber and Biopolymer Research Institute in the form of steam, chilled water, compressed air, and treated water.
The Section of Utilities consists of five main groups:
- Central Heating and Cooling Plant #1 (CHACP I) serves the main campus.
- Central Heating and Cooling Plant #2 (CHACP II) serves the Health Sciences Center and the University Medical Center. It also provides emergency electrical power to the TTUHSC and old operating rooms.
- Utilities Distribution is responsible for the Fiber and Biopolymer Research Institute (FBRI) and the Museum of Texas Tech.
- Utilities Management focuses on quality of service, cost effective operations, personnel training, procurement, and maintenance management.
- Emergency Maintenance schedules all HVAC run times to coincide with class schedules, monitors building automation systems, and receives and reports after-hours trouble calls, elevator trouble calls, and fire alarms.
- Provide and foster a safe environment for both the campus populace and employees of the Operations Division, and strive to achieve an accident-free work environment
- Provide the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of utility services in the form of steam, chill water, reverse osmosis water, and compressed air to the Texas Tech University main campus, University Medical Center and the Health Sciences Center
- Maximize systems reliability and efficiencies to minimize life cycle costs of new and major renovated equipment
- Maintain compliance with state and federal regulations
Dale Townsley, Director for Utilities
3224 Main Street
Lubbock, TX 79409
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 4:00 pm
Plant Operators on Duty 24/7