External Resources is maintained by the Office of the Vice President for Research. If you have suggestions for links to other useful sites or suggestions to make this site more usable, please send them to ResearchIntegrity@ttu.edu.
Ethics CORE Digital Library - National Center for Professional & Research Ethics
The Ethics CORE (Collaborative Online Resource Environment) is a digital library funded by the National Science Foundation. The searchable database contains web resources related to research ethics such as collaboration tools, multimedia educational materials, research literature links and RCR mentoring materials. here.
New: Conventions of Scientific Authorship (from AAAS)
Feature article on inclusiveness and authorship credit.here.
New: Working with Research Staff & Trainees
Feature article on how to manage a lab and staff. here.
Science Careers (from the journal Science) Feature Index: Research Integrity
Feature article on research integrity encouraging conscious, questioning analysis. here.
Journal: Science and Engineering Ethics
This multi-disciplinary journal explores ethical issues relating to scientists and engineers. Read current and previous issues here.
Resource from Nature: Responding to Research Wrongdoing in the Lab - A Guide
 Koocher, G. P., & Keith-Spiegel, P. (2010). Peers nip misconduct in the bud. Nature, 466 (7305), 438-440. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v466/n7305/full/466438a.html
Supplementary materials: http://www.ethicsresearch.com/images/Method_Results_July_22_2010_a.pdf
 Keith-Spiegel P., Sieber J., & Koocher G.P. (2010). Responding to research wrongdoing: a user-friendly guide. http://www.ethicsresearch.com/images/RRW_7-17-10.pdf. Project website: http://www.ethicsresearch.com/freeresources/rrwresearchwrongdoing.html
Federal Resources and Guidelines
National Institutes of Health (NIH): www.nih.gov
National Science Foundation (NSF): www.nsf.gov
Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP):www.hhs.gov/ohrp
Office of Research Integrity (ORI): www.ori.dhhs.gov
Office of Science and Technology Policy: www.ostp.gov
Resources from the National Academies Press
- Ethics Education and Scientific and Engineering Research: What's Been Learned? What Should Be Done? Summary of a Workshop (2009)
- On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition (2009)
- Recognition and Alleviation of Pain in Laboratory Animals (2009)
- Responsible Research with Biological Select Agents and Toxins (2009)
- Conflict of Interest in Medical Research, Education, and Practice (2009)
- Protecting Student Records and Facilitating Education Research: A Workshop Summary (2008)
- The Ethical Conduct of Clinical Research Involving Children (2004)
Responsible Conduct of Research Instruction
Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Research: www.onlineethics.org
- Source: The Center for Ethics, Engineering and Society (CEES) at the National Academy of Engineering and the Ethics Education Library (EEL) at the Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions at the Illinois Institute of Technology
Open Seminar in Research Ethics:www.openseminar.org/ethics
- Source: Gary Comstock, North Carolina State University and OpenSeminar.org
Poynter Center for the Study of Ethics and American Institutions:www.poynter.indiana.edu
- Source: Indiana University Bloomington
Project for Scholarly Integrity:www.scholarlyintegrity.org
- Source: Council of Graduate Schools
Teaching Chemical Research Ethics:www.lib.duke.edu/chem/ethics
- Source: Chemistry Library, Duke University
Teaching Ethics for Research, Scholarship & Practice:www.research.umn.edu/ethics
- Source: The University of Minnesota, Office of the Vice President for Research
Professional Association Codes, Policies and Guidance
American Anthropological Association
American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Scientific Freedom, Responsibility and Law Program: www.aaas.org/spp/sfrl
American Chemical Society
American Educational Research Association (AERA)
American Physical Society (APS)
American Psychological Association (APA)
- Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct
- Guidance for Responsible Conduct of Research
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
American Statistical Association (ASA)
Association of American Universities (AAU)
Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR)
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
Public Responsibility in Medicine and Research (PRIM&R)
Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
Sources of Commentary and Debate
AMSA PharmFree Scorecard 2009:www.amsascorecard.org
- Source: The American Medical Student Association
- Overview: Joint project with the Pew Prescription Project to rate the quality of university financial-disclosure policies, with particular attention to conflict of interest policies at academic medical centers.
Bioethics Resources on the Web:bioethics.od.nih.gov
- Source: National Institutes of Health
- Overview: Site maintained by the chair of the NIH Inter-Institute Bioethics Interest Group.
Science Progress: www.scienceprogress.org
- Source: Center for American Progress
- Overview: Explorations of responsibilities of science and research.
European Code of Conduct
Link to the European Code of Conduct inspired by the First World Conference on Research Integrity (2007). here.