Recommended Training for TTU Researchers
The TTU Institutional Review Board recommends that all researchers complete a training course in conducting research with human subjects.
Required Training for NIH Researchers
TTU researchers who serve as Principal Investigators or Key Personnel on applications to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) must complete human subjects protection training. Here are NIH's descriptions:
- Training Requirements: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/hs/training.htm
- Definitions of PI and Key Personnel: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/hs_educ_faq.htm#132
Completion of the NIH or CITI training courses below fulfills the NIH education requirement for research with human subjects. Print your completion certificate (paper or PDF) and submit it to the Office of Research Services as your NIH documentation.
- NIH Training: National Institutes of Health. http://phrp.nihtraining.com
- Website training for social and behavioral sciences research with human subjects.
- If you choose to complete the NIH training course, you must retain copies of your training records. TTU personnel do not have access to Completion Certificates from NIH.
- CITI Training: Collaborative Institutional Training Institute. www.citiprogram.org
- New Users: If you are a new user, select "New Users Register Here"
- Select Texas Tech University as your institution affiliation
- Select "Human Subjects Training"
- Questions? Contact ResearchIntegrity@ttu.edu
- Texas Tech Banner FERPA Online Training. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/afism/FERPA_Online_Trn/Default.aspx
- This training will help you understand your responsibilities as a faculty or staff member who has access to student records.
Note: For TTU personnel collaborating with TTUHSC: You should create CITI affiliations with both TTU and TTUHSC so that both institutions can access your completion data. To do this, log on to your current CITI Training. Click on "Affiliate with another institution" and complete the required fields. Once dual affiliation is established, completion data from both institutions should be visible on your CITI training page. Please note that TTUHSC requires additional modules beyond those in the TTU Human Subjects Training Course. However, with dual affiliation, modules required by both institutions only need to be completed one time.
University Writing Center
The Texas Tech University Writing Center can help researchers produce a quality written proposal for submission.
Video presentation: HRPP 101 - Texas Tech HRPP and the IRB - The Basics (eRaider protected)
Video presentation: Using the HRPP Website (eRaider protected)
Video presentation: Writing the IRB Proposal (eRaider Protected)
Power Point Presentations
The HRPP staff also is available for presentations to academic classes, organizations and faculty meetings. Contact the HRPP staff at (806) 742-2064 to arrange a time.
Return to HRPP Home Go >>