The following items should be considered in the preparation and review of proposals.
The checklist will help to expedite review of proposals within TTU, avoid delays in
rewriting and revising proposals, and facilitate planning for the initiation of the
1. General Considerations
- Are the correct forms being used?
- Are the proper institutional identification numbers, applicant name and address being
- Does the proposal conform to page and font size limitations imposed by the sponsor?
- Does the proposal include all necessary attachments (e.g., biographical sketches,
certifications and assurances to be completed by ORS, etc.)?
- Does the budget add up?
- Are costs that are normally recovered through the F&A rate, such as administrative
and clerical staff, office supplies, postage and telephone costs explicitly budgeted
and justified in the proposal budget? If so, has the Application for Designation as
a “Major” Project been approved?
- Does the budget conform to any limitations imposed by the sponsor (e.g., salary caps,
prohibitions on the purchase of equipment, etc.)?
- Are the proper fringe and F&A rates being used?
- Does the budget match the budget justification?
3. External Collaborators
- If other institutions are participating in the proposal, have appropriate approvals
from the participating institutions been obtained?
- Is the role of each institution clearly stated in the proposal to avoid misunderstanding
and potential disputes?
4. Cost Sharing
- Have cost sharing commitments been endorsed by the appropriate TTU official?
- Have third party commitment letters been obtained, if applicable?
5. Space, Funding and Risk Considerations
- Have requirements for space or specialized facilities (e.g., secure facilities) been
brought to the attention of the Department Chair, Dean or Director and arrangements
been made to accommodate the proposed project?
- Other than for cost sharing, have requirements for commitment of institutional funds
been brought to the attention of the Department Chair, Dean or Director and sources
of funding committed to the proposed project?
- Have proper precautions been taken to mitigate risks or potential risks of the proposed
6. Research Compliance Considerations
- If the project involves use of human or animal subjects, have provisions been made
for review by the appropriate TTU review boards?
- If NIH funding is being sought, has the required Human Subject Training been completed
by all key personnel?
- If NIH funding is being sought, has the required Financial Conflict of Interest training
been completed and has a disclosure (positive or negative) been made?
- If the proposed project involves radioactive isotopes, recombinant DNA, or other hazardous
material, has the Environmental Health & Safety Office been consulted?
- If the project involves the use of export-controlled technology, have provisions been
made to secure the necessary licenses?
- If the project involves classified or proprietary research, has the TTU Facility Security
Officer been consulted?
- Have all conflicts or potential conflicts of interest been disclosed? If NIH funding
is being sought, has the PI and key personnel completed the required Financial Conflict
of Interest training?