Texas Tech is in a period of rapid growth in its research enterprise. The Office of the Vice President for Research has been charged with leading the university’s efforts to increase and improve upon the already excellent research, scholarship and creative activity at the university. Strategic Priority 3 of Making it possible… 2010-2020 Strategic Plan directly relates to the function of the OVPR.
It is wise for new faculty at Texas Tech to spend some time talking with colleagues and your department chair to better understand research expectations in your department. It also is helpful to take advantage of the OVPR resources and activities that support faculty development, including the Early Investigators Proposal Development Workshop, and the Transdisciplinary Research Academy. All faculty are urged to attend the monthly Faculty Research Club which provides a social setting to stimulate interdisciplinary research collaborations, networking and promote informal discussions about research.
There are several areas in the OVPR that directly help researchers in obtaining and managing external funding.
- The Office of Research Services (ORS) is responsible for: proposal submission; proposal budgeting; sub-contracting; contract negotiation; extensions; reporting; faculty training; research expenditures; and post award processes, in coordination with the Office of Accounting Services.
- The Research Development Team (RDT) works with TTU researchers to form new interdisciplinary research working groups and foster collaborations on campus, across the country and internationally. RDT also manages limited submissions for the university. RDT works with new faculty to identifying tailored grant competitions, encourage engagement in collaborative opportunities, and connect with tools and resources in the OVPR.
- The Department of Environmental Health and Safety provides assistance and consultation about minimizing hazards and risks in labs, studios and field sites as well as offering a variety of safety training.
- The Office of Research Commercialization works with researchers to assist them in the technology transfer process.
- The OVPR offers a number of faculty development opportunities including the Early Investigator Proposal Development Workshop, Proposal Review Program, the Transdisciplinary Research Academy and internal and external awards for faculty excellence.
- The Office of Responsible Research supports Texas Tech’s research compliance program in all research and teaching laboratories and studios as well as responsible conduct of research and research ethics. There are six faculty-led responsible research committees and other areas: Animal Care Services and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC); the Human Research Protection Program and the Institutional Review Board (IRB); the Institutional Laboratory Safety Committee (ILSC); Radiation/Laser Safety Committee (RLSC), the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC); and the Investigator Financial Disclosure Committee (IFDC).
- Finance and Administration is responsible for: institutional start-up processes; facility and administrative cost return disbursement; line items; and other institutionally funded research initiatives.