Leaving the University
If you leave the university, please see your department chair as far in advance of your departure as possible. Your chair, or his/her designate, will have a checklist to make your departure as smooth as possible. In some colleges, the dean or one of the associate deans will arrange an exit interview to obtain input on your time at Texas Tech and the reasons for your leaving, if you would like to share that information.
The Office of Human Resources also has created a Talent Transition webpage to aid in making your departure smooth.
The Office of Environmental Health and Safety should be contacted about the proper procedures for storing materials and equipment, transferring materials and equipment, and cleaning the lab.
All equipment and supplies purchased with startup funds or project funds are the property of Texas Tech.
All data, computer programs, culture collections, etc. produced during the project belong to Texas Tech. Talk to your department chair about taking items or copies of documents with you.
All federal contracts and all National Institutes of Health grants require a discoveries and inventions report at the end of the project period, regardless of whether any discovery has been disclosed or an invention filed. The report must be submitted on behalf of Texas Tech University. ORS will assist with completing the report and will submit required forms.
All equipment, instruments and supplies purchased with startup funds or project funds are the property of Texas Tech. All data, computer programs, culture collections, etc. produced during the project belong to Texas Tech. Talk to your department chair about taking items or copies of documents with you.
If you have ongoing research projects and/or funding please contact your department chair and ORS as early as possible to arrange for transfer of the accounts to a new institution. Not all projects can be transferred. Project transfer can be an unexpectedly lengthy process taking several months.
If someone else is taking over as PI or co-PI, contact ORS to arrange for the transfer of the project accounts. You will be required to submit a new routing form/ electronic routing form, and a budget for the remaining balance.
If you are transferring a project to a new institution, please follow these steps:
- Stop work and discontinue expenditure at Texas Tech.
- The Sponsored Projects Accounting and Reporting Office (SPAR) must submit a final financial report to the sponsor.
- The Office of Research Services (ORS) must notify the sponsor of intent to relinquish the project.
- Contact the research services office at the new institution as soon as possible so that a transfer request can be processed. The following probably will be needed for a transfer:
- Whatever internal routing process forms your new institution requires.
- A budget of unexpended funds. An estimate is sufficient until final financial report is submitted by Texas Tech.
- A brief proposal, or status report, describing project objectives that have been accomplished at Texas Tech and the objectives remaining to be accomplished at the new institution.
- Submit human subjects and/or animal use protocols or bio-safety protocols, and conflict of interest certifications to respective committees at the new institution.
- Some agencies have specific requirements. Contact the research services office at the new institution for assistance.
- After Texas Tech has submitted both a relinquishment letter and a final financial report, the research services office at the new institution will submit a transfer request to the sponsor. The transfer request will include:
- The completed transfer proposal.
- A budget for funds to be transferred to and expended at the new institiution,
- Assurances and compliance certifications.