Innovation Hub at the Research Park Open for Business
By Carrie Romo
The Texas Tech University Innovation Hub at the Research Park is open for business and available to host events. The building officially opened Aug. 5 with a ribbon cutting ceremony. This 40,000-square foot, $29 million, LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)-certified facility is a significant component in TTU's path to becoming a national research university. The Innovation Hub is designed to promote entrepreneurialism, innovation and collaboration and will host all manner of tenants, from well-established, nationally-recognized tenants, like Chromatin, Inc., the Research Park's first tenant, to startups and student businesses.
Kinetic Accelerator is also making plans to move into the building with four staff offices, an office for a branch of the Small Business Development Center, and a "Venture Den" to host accelerator students, mentors and venture capitalists.
A "Launchpad" area to house student entrepreneurial groups like TTIME (Texas Tech Innovation, Mentorship and Entrepreneurship) is located at the Innovation Hub to allow these inventive and resourceful student groups from across campus to interact with each other and tenants at the research park.
Programming is under development to help startups build their businesses and creation of a Makerspace area is underway to help students and tenants expand and prototype their ideas. Even the artwork showcases the inspired work of researchers and artists on the Texas Tech campus.
The facility also is available to host university and community events.
- flexible office and lab space that can be configured to meet tenant needs,
- multiple flexible meeting areas with glass-marker boards and an 80 inch touchscreen monitor,
- conference rooms on each floor,
- 120-seat reconfigurable auditorium with A/V,
- two fully equipped activator laboratories available for rent to meet immediate short-term needs for wet lab space up to biosafety level 2,
- Sam's Express with grab-and-go food and bottled drinks,
- shared tenant storage and laboratory support rooms with glass washers, autoclave and centrifuge, and
- full showers in the restrooms.
The TTU Innovation Hub at Research Park is located at 3911 4th Street, just west of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. For information please contact Carrie Romo, interim director, at 806-834-5295.
Carrie Romo is interim director of the Innovation Hub at the Research Park.