Ken A. Rainwater - Water Resources Center
Ken A. Rainwater , Ph.D., P.E., DEE
Department of Civil Engineering
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409-1022
Tel:(806) 742-3490 Ext. 257
Fax: (806) 742-3449
- B. S. Civil Engineering, Rice University, 1979
- M. S. Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 1982
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin, 1985
- Texas Tech University, Professor, 2002-Present, Full time.
- Texas Tech University, Joint Faculty, Department of Geosciences, 1992-Present
- Texas Tech University, Associate Professor, 1991-2002, Full time.
- Texas Tech University, Assistant Professor, 1985-1991, Full time.
- Brown and Root, Inc., Petrochemical Division, Houston, TX, Cost Engineer, reporting progress for engineering design and construction projects, 1979-1980, Full time
Certifications or professional registrations
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Texas No.65348
Honors and Awards
- Ex-Students Association New Faculty Award
- Halliburton Education Foundation Research Award
- Tau Beta Pi Outstanding Professor Award
- Abell Faculty Teaching Award, College of Engineering
- President Excellence in Teaching Award
- Zone III Faculty Advisor of the Year, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Texas Tech University Teaching Academy
- Whos Who Among Americas Teachers
- Department of Civil Engineering Teacher of the Year
- Service to Students Award, Texas Section, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Faculty Advisor Reward, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Department of Civil Engineering Researcher of the Year
- Whitacre College of Engineering Researcher of the Year (Barnie Rushing nominee)
- Service activities
- Chair, CEE Scholarship Committee
- Member, College of Engineering ABET Committee
- Chair, CEE Department ABET Committee
- Member, CEE Department Curriculum Committee
- Member, Llano Estacado Regional Water Planning Group
- Community Co-Chair, Remediation Advisory Board, Reese AFB
Current membership in professional organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Geophysical Union
- Associate of Ground Water Scientists and Engineers
- Universities Council on Water Resources, Delegate
- Diplomate Water Resources Engineer, Environmental and Water Resources Institute
- Rao, B., Anderson, T.A., Orris, G.J., Rainwater, K.A., Rajagopalan, S., Sandvig, R.M., Scanlon, B.R., Stonestrom, D.A., Walvoord, M.A., and Jackson, W.A. (2007). "Widespread Natural Perchlorate in Unsaturated Zones of Dry Regions," Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 41, no. 33, pp. 4487-4832.
- Swift, A., Rainwater, K., Chapman, J., Noll, D., Jackson, A., Ewing, B., Song, L., Ganesan, G., Marshall, R., Doon, V., and Nash, P. 2009. "Wind Power and Water Desalination Technology Integration," Report 146, Bureau of Reclamation, Denver, Colorado, 400 p.
- Rainwater, K., Ganesan, G., Gitz, D, Zartman, R., Hudnall, W., and Smith, L., 2009. "Estimating Recharge through Playa Lakes to the Southern High Plains Aquifer," Eos Trans. AGU, 90(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H53G-1021.
- Venkataraman, K., Rainwater, K., Jackson, W.A., and Ridley, M.K., 2009. "Speciation and Source Identification for Arsenic in the Southern High Plains Aquifer," Eos Trans. AGU, 90(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract H51I-0895.
- Rainwater, K., Fish, E., Zartman, R., and Beierle, M., 2010. "Evaluation of the White River Watershed," Final Report, White River Municipal Water District, Spur, Texas, 57 p.
- Rainwater, K., Hayhoe, K., and Baake, K., 2010. "Quantifying Effects of Long-Term Climate Change on Precipitation and Evaporation," Final Report, USDA-ARS Ogallala Aquifer Program, http://www.ogallala.ars.usda.gov/report.php, 31 p.
Most Recent Professional Development Activities:
- ASCE - Attend two Texas Section meetings each year, past president of section, includes ethics
- AGU - Attended Fall Meeting in 2007, 2009
- Other PDH through generation of reports and publications