- September 12 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
- October 10 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
- November 12 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
- Theme: "Calling Out Sexism"
Sexism vs Gender-based Prejudice - Finally, AFeminism 101 Blog
Sexism, double discrimination and more than one kind of prejudice - The Guardian
In the spirit of consciousness raising groups *, please join the Women's Studies Program for our brown bag lunch series.
We invite members of the campus community to bring their lunch and join us. We want to use this time as an opportunity for a “meeting of minds”.
As an informal gathering, we intend to address a wide range of issues including current topics being discussed inside the classroom and out. The lunches provide opportunities to discuss hot topics, challenges, solutions, and to share ideas and inspirations. Join us for an informal gathering with colleagues and community members who are friends of the Women's Studies Program.
The event is FREE. Invite a friend!
This semester we will use this series of brown bag lunches to talk about Sexism, more specifically the act of calling out sexism and telling media, society, culture, etc. that we are not buying it.
We will use various topics, listed below, as spring boards into the broader discussion of current influences faced by students, faculty and staff on campus to discuss what sexism looks like and what can be done to eradicate it
- September 12 | Hollaback! | Teaching Learning & Professional Development Center RM 151 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
- October 10 | Women Need To...: Google Autocomplete Suggestions | Teaching Learning & Professional Development Center RM 153 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
- November 12 | Hashtag Activism: #WhoNeedsFeminism | Teaching Learning & Professional Development Center RM 153 | noon - 1:00 p.m.
Registration for each event is FREE. Please go to the link provided and click on "schedule of events" on the left side of the page to find the event and register. For non-TTU personnel please contact the Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development Center (TLPDC) at (806) 742-0133 to register. Link to register: https://www.tltc.ttu.edu
|* Consciousness Raising (also called awareness raising) is a form of political activism, popularized by United States feminists in the late 1960s. It often takes the form of a group of people attempting to focus the attention of a wider group of people on some cause or condition. Common issues include diseases (e.g. breast cancer, AIDS), conflicts (e.g. the Darfur genocide, global warming), movements (e.g. Greenpeace, PETA, Earth Hour), and political parties or politicians. Since informing the populace of a public concern is often regarded as the first step to changing how the institutions handle it, raising awareness is often the first activity in which any advocacy group engages.
- October 26, 2014: Save the Date: Annual Conference
- October 27, 2014: Rainbow Roundtable
- October 27, 2014: Call for Proposals Now Accepted
A number of announcements and events can be found on other social media devices as well as our web stie. We will update all sites as details become available.
* Note: If you have an event or an announcement you would like us to be aware of, send us an email at email@example.com