International Women's Day
2015 International Women's Day EventInternational Women's Day 2015 Theme: MAKE IT HAPPEN
All around the world, International Women's Day represents an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of women while calling for greater equality.
Make It Happen is the 2015 theme for our internationalwomensday.com global hub, encouraging effective action for advancing and recognising women.
Each year International Women's Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. The first International Women's Day was held in 1911. Thousands of events occur to mark the economic, political and social achievements of women. Organisations, governments, charities, educational institutions, women's groups, corporations and the media celebrate the day.
Various organisations identify their own International Women's Day theme, specific to their local context and interests. Many charities, NGOs and Governments also adopt a relevant theme or campaign to mark the day. For example, organisations like the UN, Oxfam, Women for Women, Care International, Plan, World Association of Girl Guides & Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) and more - run exciting and powerful campaigns that raise awareness and encourage donations for good causes. The UN has been declaring an annual equality theme for many years.
Support International Women's Day ONLINE
Use your voice via social media:
- And watch out for even more #hashtag activism from loads of great groups all around the world
Interact with womensday on:
Lend your support:
- Retweet and share content
- Display the International Women's Day on your website or blog
- Donate to your favourite womens charity
- Paint It Purple - your website, blog, emails for the day
- Insert the IWD logo in your email signature black for the day
- Support a female-focused crowd-funding initiative
- Make and upload a video
- Run a webinar