Doak Hall was named in honor of Mary W. Doak, Texas Tech's first Dean of Women. Mrs. Doak served as Dean of Women from the Texas Technical College's opening in 1925 until 1945, when she retired to become a member of Tech's English faculty.
Built in 1934 at a cost of $313,168, Doak Hall housed women until 1943. Men were housed in Doak from 1943 through the 1957-1958 academic years. Later on women were again housed in Doak Hall. Eventually it was changed to a co-ed upper-class hall (men on the 3rd floor and women on the 2nd floor.) In 2002, freshman men were moved to Doak in the fall of 2002. For the past several years, Doak could house up to 320 students when first constructed.
Doak has a history of hosting various campus offices and academic departments.
- From 1975-1977 academic years, the College of Education used a portion of Doak hall
- From summer 1977 to spring 1978 the Admissions and Registrar's offices were in Doak hall
- The College of Home Economics (now the college of Human Sciences) also used Doak hall during the 1977-1978 academic year
- The central offices of the department of Housing & Dining Services (now split into University Student Housing and Hospitality Services) were located on the first floor of Doak hall from November of 1982 until the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Currently Doak hall is home to individual programs under the Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement:
- Cross-Cultural Academic Advancement Center
- IDEAL- Institute for the Development & Enrichment of Advanced Learners
- Mentor Tech
- Military Veterans Program
- Office of Community Engagement
- PEGASUS - First Generation, Transition, & Mentoring Programs
- SPICE - Susan Polgar Institute for Chess Excellence
- UIL- University Interscholastic League
- Upward Bound
- Women’s Studies Program
Built in 1934 at a cost of $313,168
Mary W. Doak
First Dean of Women
Photographs courtesy of Texas Tech Soutwest Collection