Recruiting Focus; Shelbey Havens joins CASNR’s Student Success Center
By: Norman Martin
Shelbey Havens has been named the new College Recruiter for Texas Tech's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources. She officially stepped into her new position on Jan. 1.
Havens, who will be based in CASNR's Dr. Bill Bennett Student Success Center, joins a group of professionals in the Dean's Office charged with recruiting and retaining the best students for the college, said Cindy Akers, CASNR's Associate Dean for Academic and Student Programs.
"I am thrilled to have the opportunity to represent the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources," Havens said. "And, I'm excited to recruit for such an outstanding college and university."
Prior to joining the Tech staff, Havens worked as assistance director for recruitment and marketing at the Texas Tech Health Sciences Center-School of Health Professions. Prior to that she worked as a sales associate with MEC Medical and ZimmerBiomet, as well as an office administrator with the Texas Senate Committee on Agriculture, Water and Rural Affairs.
Havens received her bachelor's degree in agricultural communications from Texas Tech. While an undergraduate at the university she worked as a student assistant in CASNR's Student Success Center.
Other members of CASNR's Student Success Center staff include:
• Savannah Chambers (2014); Program Manager of Undergraduate Studies. Responsible for undergraduate programs, degree plans, transfer credits, commencement, awarding of undergraduate degrees, advising, and assisting the associate dean for academic programs. She received her bachelor's degree in agricultural communications from Texas Tech.
• Stephanie Legako (2016); Academic Specialist for Student Retention. A licensed marriage and family therapist, she received her bachelor's in psychology from Texas Tech and master's degree in human development and family science from Oklahoma State University. Prior to joining Tech, she served as a therapist at Blomquist Hale Employee Assistance in Logan, Utah; and lead therapist at Capstone Counseling in Logan, Utah.
• Janie Lopez (2014); Coordinator for College Relations. Prior to joining CASNR, Lopez served as an administrative assistant in Tech's Office of the Provost, and before that she worked as a senior business assistant in Tech's College of Education. She received her bachelor's degree from Texas Tech.
• Everardo Macias (2016); Coordinator of Diversity. The Dallas native will recruit high school students and transfer students for CASNR through a targeted effort, as well as develop and coordinate information and printed literature emphasizing the college's diversity, its programs, centers and facilities. He received his bachelor's degree in sociology/criminology and Spanish from Texas Tech.
• Cindy McCullough (2012); Coordinator of Scholarships. Prior to taking her position, McCullough served as Coordinator of College Relations in the Student Success Center. Earlier, she worked in Tech's Department of Animal and Food Sciences and Tech's Office of the Provost.
The Dr. Bill Bennett Student Success Center is named for long-time member of the Department of Plant and Soil Science's emeritus faculty Bill Bennett. Bennett joined the Texas Tech faculty in 1968, and was a trailblazer in raising money for scholarships to increase recruitment of students, in addition to spearheading creation of the college's Ambassadors for Agriculture and Agri-Techsans programs.
CONTACT: Cindy Akers, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Programs, College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 742-2808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It