AFS Meat Science Quiz Bowl Team wins national championship, again
By: Norman Martin
The Meat Science Academic Quiz Bowl Team within the College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources at Texas Tech University captured the school's 10th national championship at the 74th Reciprocal Meat Conference (RMC) held Aug. 14-18 in Reno, Nevada.
The 2021 Undergraduate Quiz Bowl Contest, sponsored by JBS USA Food Company and the American Meat Science Association (AMSA), was an intense and competitive event featuring 88 undergraduates competing on 22 teams. This is the fifth national championship for Texas Tech in the last nine years. Texas Tech previously captured titles in 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2019.
Texas Tech won the title this year by beating Texas A&M University in sudden death in the finals. RMC is an annual conference sponsored by AMSA that brings together meat scientists and students from academia, industry and government.
“These students have worked extremely hard over the last six months practicing and studying for this contest,” said quiz bowl coach Chandler Sarchet. “Their performance in Reno showcased our university's high academic standards to many of the foremost meat scientists in the U.S.”
The 2021 team members are:
- Shae Lynn Suttle from Idalou, Texas
- Devin Gonzalez from Hondo, Texas
- Gregory Matocha from La Grange, Texas
- Madison Belcher from Texico, New Mexico
- Meagan McMurray from College Station, Texas
- Grace Carver from Flower Mound, Texas
- Bethany Crenwelge from Fredericksburg, Texas
- Paige Tegeler from Huntsville, Texas
- Preston Twilligear from Hondo, Texas
- Lauren Ritchie from Nipomo, California
- Alex Norwood from Katy, Texas
- Emily Franko from Escondido, California
- Alex Moore from Lemitar, New Mexico
Mark Miller, the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Distinguished Chair in Meat Sciences in the Department of Animal & Food Sciences, serves as the faculty adviser for the team.
CONTACT: Jerrad Legako, Acting Chair, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources, Texas Tech University at (806) 834-0233 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agricultural & Applied Economics
- Agricultural Education & Communications
- Animal & Food Sciences
- Landscape Architecture
- Natural Resources Management
- Plant & Soil Science
- Veterinary Science
Editor: Norman Martin
Maps: Where to Find It