What is Service Learning?
Service learning links academic study and civic engagement through thoughtfully organized service as a means for students to learn in practice what they are learning in theory in the classroom.
What is CALUE's Role?
CALUE provides information, support, and opportunities concerning Service Learning to students, faculty, and community members, fostering an appreciation of the academic and social values of community engagement.
Many departments offer Service Learning classes that demonstrate the creative expertise of faculty committed to extending disciplinary work into local communities. Service Learning not only changes the way students learn, it changes society's view of education and service.
CALUE works with students and their academic advisors to identify appropriate Service Learning courses in which to enroll.
By participating in service learning courses, students:
- Develop an understanding of and ways to manage complex problems and situations
- Demonstrate applied learning
- Develop interpersonal communication and leadership skills
- Develop social responsibility and associated skills
- Develop ethical reasoning skills; and learn to be a service to the community in their professional lives.
Register for a service learning course and make a difference in your community!