Pom Squad Recruitment
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Texas Tech Pom Squad! We are a part of the Texas Tech Spirit Program, which also consists of the Co-Ed Cheerleading Squad, All-Girl Cheerleading Squad, Raider Red, and the Masked Rider. Our team serves as ambassadors for Texas Tech University and helps promote spirit at several athletic events. Our team members will also compete at the UDA Collegiate Championships in 2023.
We are looking for confident, talented, humble, dedicated, and passionate dancers to be a part of our 2023-2024 team. Squad members are responsible for representing Texas Tech in the classroom, on the court/field, and on stage at the national level. Being a member of our team comes with several exciting opportunities and benefits but is also a major commitment. Please review the materials and requirements thoroughly.
We are in our first year operating with a recruiting-based model for the team selection process. Please read the information below to understand how the process works. If you are serious about attending Texas Tech University, you must fill out the recruitment form to be considered. If you have any additional questions, please e-mail our Head Coach, Erin Alvarado at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a life-changing opportunity, and we are excited about the possibility of having you in our program. We are excited to learn more about you and watch you dance!
Head Coach, Texas Tech Pom Squad
- Step 1:
Complete the Recruitment Form
- Step 2:
Work with us in person! This can include a campus tour or a clinic/recruiting event. Click here for more information on our camps and clinic dates:
- Step 3:
Follow us on social media & stay up-to-date with our team!
Tik Tok: @TexasTechPomSquad
- Sophomore/Junior Year of High School: Prospective candidate emails coaching staff expressing interest in the program.
Attendance at clinics & training camps are strongly recommended.
- January 1 of Junior Year - September 1 of Senior Year: Complete the Recruitment Form & secure requirements. Attendance at clinics is strongly recommended.
- Senior Year, Fall (or Fall for current college students): Apply to Texas Tech University
- September 1-Spring 2023 – Coaching Staff Evaluation Period
- January 1-End of March: Coaching Staff extends offers for positions on the Texas Tech Pom Squad.
- Video #1 (Required):
- Name, Hometown
- Why do you want to attend Texas Tech University and what is your intended major?
- Why do you want to be a member of our team?
- Why do you think you are a good candidate?
- Technique Requirements:
- Quint+ Pirouette (Right)
- A Le Seconde Turn Combination Video Here
- Leap in Second
- Any Switch Variation of Choice
- Toe Touch
- Front & Back Walkover (either side)
- Side Aerial (Both Right & Left)
- Kip Up
- Dancer Specific Technique:
- Extension of Choice (must hold for 8 counts)
- Any Leg Hold Turn
- Dancer's Choice of A La Seconde Turn Combination
- Dancer's Choice of Pirouette Combination
- Any Additional Jumps/Flexibility Skills
- Any Additional Acro Skills
- 1 Minute Jazz or Contemporary Combination (of your choice)
- 30 Second Pom Combination (of your choice)
- 30 Second Hip Hop Combination (of your choice)
*Combinations should showcase style, musicality, and technical ability.
- Video #2 (Required):
- This video can be a solo or any additional dance footage of your choice.
- Second video should be no longer than 3 minutes total in length.
- General Video Notes:
- Videos do not need to be professionally edited.
- Consider lighting and angles so you are easily evaluated.
- Black tight-fitting shorts & black sports bra
- Hair down for introductions
- Hair pulled back for technique evaluations
- Full performance make-up
- July 16th: Texas Tech Pom Squad Summer Training Camp
- TBA: Texas Tech Pom Squad Recruitment Weekend (invitation only)
- TBA: UDA Combine
- Fall 2022 – Fall Clinics (dates TBA)
- 2023 High School Graduates & Transfer Students, Video Submissions Due by November 1, 2022.
- 2024 High School Graduates & Transfer Students, Video Submissions Due by September 1, 2023.
- *Should you need an extension please contact email@example.com directly to discuss the situation.