Books and Book Chapters
8. Danny D. Reible, Ed. Sediment Processes, Assessment and Remediation, Springer, New York (2014)
7. Danny D. Reible and Tomas Lanczos, Ed. Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sediments, NATO Science Series IV, Earth and Environmental Sciences Vol. 73. Springer-Verlag, Dordrecht, Netherlands (2006)
6. Chapman, P., W.J. Birge, R.M. Burgess, W.H. Clements, W.S. Douglas, M.C. Harass, C. Hogstrand, D.D. Reible, A. Ringwood, Chapters 7 and 17 in Use of Sediment Quality Guidelines, Ed. By R. Wenning, C. Ingergsoll and G. Batley, SETAC Press (2005)
5. Calvin C. Chien; Miguel A. Medina, Jr.; George F. Pinder; Danny D. Reible; Brent E. Sleep; and Chunmiao Zheng, Ed. Contaminated Ground Water and Sediment, CRC Press (2004)
4. Reible, D., K. Demnerova, Ed. In-Situ Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sites, NATO Science Series in Environmental Sciences, Kluwer, Netherlands (2002)
3. L.J. Thibodeaux, D.D.Reible and K.T. Valsaraj, “Non-particle Resuspension Chemical Transport from Stream Beds,” Chapter 7 in Chemicals in the Environment: Fate, Impacts and Remediation, Ed. R. Lipnick, R. Mason, M. Phillips and C. Pittman, ACS Symposium Series 806 (2002)
2. Choy, B. and D.D. Reible, Diffusion Models of Environmental Transport, CRC Press (2000) 184 pp.
1. Reible, D.D. Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering, CRC Press (1999) 526 pp.
Journal and other Publications
59. Taraban, R., Reible, D.D., Mesple, D.E., Donato, F.V., Yeter, I.H., Campbell, R.C., Kim, J.-H., Hoffman, J. "Using a Museum Exhibit as a Pedagogical Tool for Developing Reflective Engineers". In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference. Columbus, OH, USA: American Society for Engineering Education (2017) 13 pp.
58. Campbell, R.C., Taraban, R., Kim, J.-H., Reible, D.D., Hoffman, J., Na, C. "Exploring the Effects of a Visual Thinking Strategies Workshop on the Reflective Thinking of Undergraduate Engineering Students". In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference. Columbus, OH, USA: American Society for Engineering Education (2017) 15 pp.
57. Oleszczuk P., Godlewska P., Reible D., Kraska P., 2017. Bioaccessiblity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in activated carbon or biochar amended-contaminated soil. Environmental. Pollution. 227, 406-413. 2017 [Link]
56. Kupryianchyk, D., Rakowska, M.I., Reible, D. D., Harmsen, J., Cornelissen, G., Veggel, van M., Hale, S.E., Grotenhuis, J.T.C., and Koelmans, A.A., (2015)."Positioning activated carbon amendment technologies in a novel framework for sediment management. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management", 11: 221-234
55. Ghosh, U., Driscoll, S.K., Burgess,R.M., Jonker, M.T., Reible, D., Gobas,F., Choi, Y. , Apitz, S., Maruya, K.A, Gala, W.R., Mortimer, M. and Beegan, C. Passive Sampling Methods for Contaminated Sediments: Practical Guidance for Selection, Calibration, and Implementation , In Press, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management (IEAM) 2014
54. Thomas, C, Lampert, D.J. Reible D., Janssen, E. and R.G. Luthy, Remedy Performance Monitoring at Contaminated Sediment Sites Using Profiling Solid Phase Microextraction (SPME) Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) Fibers, in press Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts 2014
53. Peijnenburg, WJGM,, Peter R. Teasdale, Danny Reible, Julie Mondon, William W. Bennett, Peter G.C. Campbell, Passive Sampling Methods for Contaminated Sediments: State of the Science for Metals, In press, publication Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management (IEAM) 2014
52. Virkutyte, J., Al-Abed, S., Barth, E., Reible, D., Dunlap, P. Chattopadhyay, S. Catalytic Sorption of (Chloro)Benzene and Napthalene in Aqueous Solutions by Granular Activated Carbon Supported Bimetallic Iron and Palladium Nanoparticles, in press 2014
51. Hong, Yongseok, and Danny D. Reible. "Modeling the Effect of pH and Salinity on Biogeochemical Reactions and Metal Behavior in Sediment." Water, Air, & Soil Pollution 225.1 (2014): 1-20.
50. Martinez, A., O'Sullivan, C., Reible, D., & Hornbuckle, K. C. (2013). Sediment pore water distribution coefficients of PCB congeners in enriched black carbon sediment. Environmental Pollution, 182, 357-363.
49. Lampert, D., X. Lu, D. Reible," by, Long-term PAH monitoring results from the Anacostia River active capping demonstration using polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) fibers, Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, 15, 554-562, (2013)
48. Smith, A., M.J. Kirisits, D.D. Reible, Assessment of Potential Anaerobic Biotransformation of Organic Pollutants in Sediment Caps, New Biotechnology, Volume 30, Issue 1, 80–87, 15 November 2012.
47. Yan, F., D. Reible, PAH Degradation and redox control in an electrode enhanced sediment cap, 87, 46, 1222-1228, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, September , 2012
45. Sun, M., D. Reible, G.V. Lowry and K.B. Gregory Effect of Applied Voltage, Initial Concentration, and Natural Organic Matter on Sequential Reduction/Oxidation of Nitrobenzene by Graphite Electrodes, Environ Sci Technol. 46,11, 6174-6181 (2012)
44. Erten, M.B., R. Gilbert, C.S. El Mohtar, D.D. Reible. The Performance of Organophilic Clay on NAPL Contaminated Sediments under Anisotropic Consolidation, Accepted Journal of ASTM International (2012)
43. Yang, W., D Lampert, N Zhao, D Reible, W Chen "Link between black carbon and resistant desorption of PAHs on soil and sediment." Journal of Soils and Sediments: 12, 5 713-723 (2012)
42. Rosen, G, D.B. Chadwick, G.A. Burton, W.K. Taulbee, M.S. Greenberg, G.R. Lotufo and D.D. Reible (2011) A sediment ecotoxicity platform for in situ measures of chemistry bioaccumulation and toxicity. Part 1. System description and proof of concept, Environmental Pollution, (Nov 2011)
41. Rosen, G, D.B. Chadwick, G.A. Burton, W.K. Taulbee, M.S. Greenberg, G.R. Lotufo and D.D. Reible (2011) A sediment ecotoxicity platform for in situ measures of chemistry bioaccumulation and toxicity. Part 2. Integrated application to a shallow estuary, Environmental Pollution, (Nov 2011)
40. Erten, M.B., R. Gilbert, C.S. El Mohtar, D.D. Reible, Development of a laboratory procedure to evaluate the consolidation potential of soft contaminated sediments, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Volume 34, Issue 5, September (2011)
39. Lampert, D.J., W.V. Sarchet, D.D. Reible. Assessing the Effectiveness of Thin-Layer Sand Caps for Contaminated Sediment Management through Passive Sampling, Environ. Sci Technol, 45 (19), pp 8437–8443 (2011)
38. Hong, YS., K. A. Kinney, D.D. Reible Effects of cyclic changes in pH and salinity on metals release from sediments, Environ. Toxicology and Chemistry, Volume 30, Issue 8, Pages: 1775–1784 (2011)
37. Gschwend, P.M, J. K. MacFarlane, D.D. Reible, X. Lu, S.B. Hawthorne, D. V. Nakles, and T. Thompson Comparison of PDMS-, POM- and LDPE-based polymeric samplers for accurately assessing PCBs in sediment pore waters , Environ. Toxicology and Chemistry, 30, Issue 6, June 2011, Pages: 1288–1296, (2011).
36. Lu, X., B. Drake, A. Skwarski, D. Reible, Predicting bioavailability of PAHs and PCBs with pore water concentrations measured by disposable solid-phase micro-extraction fibers, Environ. Toxicology and Chemistry, 30, Issue 5, May 2011, Pages: 1109–1116 (2011).
35 Hong, YS, K. Kinney, D. Reible, Acid Volatile Sulfides Oxidation and Metals (Mn, Zn) Release upon Sediment Resuspension: Laboratory Experiment and Model Development, Environ. Toxicology and Chemistry 30, Issue 3, March 2011, Pages: 564–575 (2011).
34. Sun, M., F. Yan, R. Zhang, D. D. Reible, G.V. Lowry, K.B. Gregory, Redox Control and Hydrogen Production in Sediment Caps Using Carbon Cloth Electrodes, Environ Sci and Technol. 44 (21), 8209– 8215 (2010).
33. Johnson, N., D.D. Reible, L. Katz, Biogeochemical changes and mercury methylation beneath an in-situ sediment cap, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44 (19), 7280–7286 (2010)
32. Ma, X., D.D. Reible, M. Harris, Assessing the feasibility of in-situ capping and contaminant mobility inNAPL-contaminated sediments, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 4, 71-78 (2010).
31. Yuan, Q., K.T. Valsaraj, D.D. Reible, A Model for Contaminant and Sediment Transport via Gas Ebullition through a Sediment Cap, Environmental Engineering Science , 26, 9 1381-1391 (2009)
30. Lampert, D.J., D. D. Reible, An Analytical Modeling Approach for Evaluation of Capping of Contaminated Sediments, Soil and Sediment Contamination: An International Journal, 18, 4, 470-488 (2009)
29. Go, J., D.J. Lampert, J.A. Stegman, D.D. Reible, Predicting contaminant fate and transport in sediment caps: Mathematical modeling approaches, Journal of Applied Geochemistry, 24, 7, 1347-1353 (2009)
28. Barth, E., D. Reible and A. Bullard, Evaluation of the physical stability, groundwater seepage control, and faunal changes associated with an AquaBlok® sediment cap, Remediation: The Journal of Environmental Cleanup Costs, Technologies and Techniques, 18, 4, Fall (2008) (p 63-70)
27. Knox, A.S., M.H. Paller, D.D. Reible, X.Ma, I.G. Petrisor, “Sequestering Agents for Active Caps-Remediation of Metals and Organics”, Soil and Sediment Contamination, 17 (5) 516-532 (2008)
26. Gustavson, K.E., G.A. Burton, N.R. Francinques, D.D. Reible, D.J. Vorhees, J.R. Wolfe, “Evaluating the effectiveness of contaminated sediment dredging”, Environmental Science and Technology, 42, 14, 5042-5047 (2008)
25. Liu, J., D. Reible, KT Valsaraj, R. Delaune, I Devai, “Observations of mercury fate and transport beneath a sediment cap”, Land Contamination and Reclamation (2008)
24. Reible, D.D. “Hurricane Katrina: Environmental Hazards in the Disaster Area,” Cityscape, November,2007
23. Yuan, Q., KT Valsaraj, DD. Reible and CS Willson, “A laboratory study of sediment and contaminant release during gas ebullition,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, 59, 9 (2007)
22. Chai, Y., A. Kochetkov, D.D. Reible, The Use of Coarse, Separable, Condensed-Phase Organic Carbon Particles to Characterize Desorption Resistance of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Contaminated Sediments, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 26 , 7 1380-1385 (2007)
21. McDonough, K.M., P. Murphy, J. Olsta, Y. Zhu, D. Reible, G. Lowry, Development and Placement of a Sorbent-amended Thin Layer Sediment Cap in the Anacostia River, Journal of Soil and Sediment Remediation16:3, 313-322 (2007)
20. Reible, D.D., D. Lampert, W. D. Constant, R.D. Mutch, and Y. Zhu, Active Capping Demonstration in the Anacostia River, Washington, DC, Remediation: The Journal of Environmental Cleanup Costs, Technologies and Techniques, 17, 1, Winter (2006)
19. Chai, Y. A. Kochetkov and D.D. Reible, Modeling Biphasic Sorption And Desorption Of Hydrophobic Organic Contaminants In Sediments, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 25, 12, 3133-3140 (2006)
18. Chai, Y. A. Kochetkov and D.D. Reible, Sorption Kinetics of Hydrophobic Organic Compounds to Natural Sediments and Soils, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 25, 11, 2827-2833 (2006)
17. Lu, X., D.D. Reible, J.W. Fleeger, Bioavailability of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Field- Contaminated Anacostia River (Washington, DC) Sediment, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 25,11, 2869-2874 (2006)
16. Murphy, P. A. Marquette, D. Reible, and G. V. Lowry Predicting the Performance of Activated Carbon-, Coke-, and Soil-Amended Thin Layer Sediment Caps, Journal of Environmental Engineering, 132,7 (2006)
15. Gomez-Hermosilla, C., J. H. Pardue, D.D. Reible, Wetland plant uptake of desorption resistant contaminants from sediments, Environmental Science and Technology 40, 3229-3236 (2006)
14. Priklonsky, V.I., D. D. Reible and J.M. Tyler, Consistent unconfined contaminated disposal facilities dike tidal flow and transport model, Environmental Modeling and Software, 20,9 1071-1079 (2005).
13. Apitz, A.E, J. W. Davis, K. Finklestein, D.W. Hohreiter, R. Hoke, R.H. Jensen, J. Jersak, V.J. Kirtay, E.E. Mack, V.S. Magar, D.Moore, D. Reible, R.G. Stahl, “Assessing and Managing Contaminated Sediments: Part I, Developing an Effective Investigation and Risk Evaluation Strategy”, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 1, 1 2-9 (2004)
12. Apitz, A.E, J. W. Davis, K. Finklestein, D.W. Hohreiter, R. Hoke, R.H. Jensen, J. Jersak, V.J. Kirtay, E.E. Mack, V.S. Magar, D.Moore, D. Reible, R.G. Stahl, “Assessing and Managing Contaminated Sediments: Part II, Evaluating Risk and Monitoring Sediment Remedy Effectiveness”, Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 1, 1 e1 (2004)
11. Lu, X.X., D. D. Reible, J. W. Fleeger, Relative Importance of Ingested Sediment Versus Pore Water Uptake Routes for PAHs to the Deposit-Feeding Oligochaete Ilyodrilus templetoni, Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 47(2) 207-214.
10. Thibodeaux, L.J., H. Huls, R. Ravikrishna, K.T. Valsaraj,M. Costello, D. Reible, “Laboratory Simulation of Chemical Evaporation from Dredge-Produced Sediment Slurries” Environmental Engineering Science, 21, 6, 730-740 (2004)
9. Lu, X.X., D.D Reible, J.W. Fleeger, ‘Adsorption/desorption and bioavailability of sediment-associated benzo[a]pyrene’, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 1, p. 57-64 (2004).
8. Yan, Le, Karsten E. Thompson, Kalliat T. Valsaraj, and Danny D. Reible In-Situ Control of DNAPL Density Using Polyaphrons, Environ. Sci. Technol.; 37(19) pp 4487 – 4493 (2003)
7. Reible, D.D., D. Hayes, C. Lue-Hing, J. Patterson, N. Bhowmik, M. Johnson, and J.Teal , “Comparison of the Long-Term Risks of Removal and In-Situ Management of Contaminated Sediments in the Fox River”, Journal of Soil and Sediment Contamination, 12(3) 325-344 (2003)
6. Lu, X.X., D. Reible, “Linking sediment exposure with effects: modeling techniques, organic availability and uptake”, Int’l Journal of Sediment Research, 18, 2 208-213 (2003)
5. Lu, X.X, D. D. Reible, J.W. Fleeger, and Y.Z. Chai, “Bioavailability of Desorption –Resistant Phenanthrene to the Oligochaete Ilyodrilus templetoni” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 22, 153-160 (2003)
52. Work, P.A., P.R. Moore, and Reible, D.D., Bioturbation, advection, and diffusion of a conserved tracer in a laboratory flume Water Resources Research, v 38, n 6, 241-249 (2002)
4. Reible, D. And S. Mohanty, “A Levy Flight Random Walk Model for Bioturbation”, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 21, 4 875-881 (2002)
3. Ravikrishna, R., K.T. Valsaraj, L.J. Thibodeaux, and D.D. Reible. Effects of oil and grease on the vaporization of organic compounds from contaminated sediments, Environmental Engineering Sciences, 19, 2, 101-114 (2002).
2. Thibodeaux, L.J., K.T. Valsaraj and D.D. Reible. Bioturbation driven transport of hydrophobic organic contaminants from bed sediment. Environmental Engineering Science, 18, 4, 215-223 (2001)
1. Millward, R.N., J. W. Fleeger, D.D. Reible, K.A. Keteles, B. P. Cunningham, L. Zhang, Pyrene bioaccumulation, effects of pyrene exposure on particle size selection and fecal pyrene content in the oligochaete Limnodrilus hoffmeisteriI (Tubificidae, Oligochaeta), Environ. Toxic. Chem. 20 (2001)