Dr. Raychel Vasseur
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Education: PhD, University of Iowa, 2018
- Willingness to communicate in diverse learning contexts
- Study abroad instruction and learner development
- Contexts of L2 learning
- (Digital) oral and written L2 production
- Collaborative and individual writing
- Teacher and peer (digital) feedback
- Intercultural (communicative) competence
- Program evaluation and outcomes assessment
Courses Commonly Taught
- Theoretical and Research Foundations of Second Language Teaching
- Studies in Spanish: Second Language Acquisition
- Intercultural competence and second language acquisition
- Spanish Skills: Speaking
- A beginning course in Spanish (I & II)
- Comprehensive Spanish Review
- A second course in Spanish (I & II)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Vasseur, R. & Sepulveda, Y. (2021). Beyond the language requirement: Implementing sustainable FL education in the Spanish foundations program. In M. J. de la Fuente (Ed.) Sustainability literacy through foreign language education: Content-based instruction in college-level courses. Routledge.
- Vasseur, R. (2021) Multimodal and Multilingual Approaches for Instructor Preparation and Training. Languages, 6(3), 143. https://doi.org/10.3390/languages6030143
- Tecedor, M. & Vasseur, R. (2020). Videoconferencing and the Development of Intercultural Competence: Insights from Students' Self-reflections. Foreign Language Annals, 53(4), 761-784. https://doi.org/10.1111/flan.12495
- El mayor premio es compartirlo. Foreign Languages and Literature in the Everyday (http://fllite.org). COERLL. University of Texas at Austin. 2017.
- Utilizing Willingness to Communicate Activities for the Development of Intercultural Competence. NECTFL Review. 2017. (Refereed)
- Designing Embedded Outcomes Assessment for Spanish Majors: Literary Interpretation and Analysis. In J. Norris & N. Mills. (Eds.), Innovation and Accountability in Foreign Language Program Evaluation (pp. 83–109). Boston, MA: Cengage (with Judith E. Liskin-Gasparro). 2014. (Refereed)
- Review of Social and Cultural Aspects of Language Learning in Study Abroad. Modern Language Journal, 98, 1052–1053. (with Judith E. Liskin-Gasparro). 2014.
- Review of ¡Dímelo tú!: A Complete Course. NECTFL Review, 67, 122–124. 2011.
CMLL Spanish Program
AddressCMLL Building, 2906 18th St, Lubbock, TX 79409