Ever since I was little, I wanted to have a career in communication. From being captivated by TV commercials as a toddler to campaigning in high school to have Dairy Queen shoot an ad in my hometown of Winters (featuring the Blizzard, our high school's mascot), I've always been curious about finding new ways to communicate.
After I received my bachelor's degree from Texas Tech University with a Major in Advertising and a Minor in Marketing, for 25 years I worked in advertising, marketing, and public relations to help businesses find the most effective ways to communicate with their audiences. From working with financial institutions and hospitals to scientists and economic developers, I conducted research, developed brands, planned strategies, created content, and discovered solutions for organizations so they could accomplish their objectives.
I returned to Texas Tech to earn my Doctorate in Communication, so I could share my experience with students. I then taught management and business communication courses in the Rawls College of Business as an Assistant Professor of Practice and moved to the College of Media and Communication to join the faculty in the Department of Professional Communication.
When I'm not teaching, I enjoy spending time with my husband (Todd), two daughters (Emily and Macy), and three dogs (Tia, Tobey, and Egypt). I enjoy being creative through graphic design, photography, and art. I also love to collect books and have every intention of finishing them all one day!
My research interests have always focused on how academic knowledge can impact organizations and individuals in the industry. In addition to this scholarship, I've used my research interests in organizational and consumer behavior, brand identity, motivation, and small business and not-for-profit communication to effectively integrate my professional experience with continued industry consulting. Whether I'm leading a training session, facilitating a focus group, or conducting survey research, I'm able to use my academic and professional experience to find answers to questions that matter.
• Business Communication (Face-to-Face, Study Abroad in Barcelona, & Service-Learning)
• Strategic Business Communication (STEM MBA Program)
• Organizational Behavior
• Organization & Management
• Communication Research Methods
• Advertising Management & Account Planning
• Public Relations Graphics & Production
• Principles of Public Relations
• Advertising Research & Campaigns (Capstone)
Leadership & Awards
Honors & Awards
- Certified PRINT® Coach, The Paul Hertz Group
- Service-Learning Faculty Fellow from the Teaching, Learning & Professional Development Center, Texas Tech University
- TEACH Fellowship from the Teaching Learning & Professional Development Center, Texas Tech University
- TEACH Excellence in Teaching Portfolio Award
- Collegiate DECA Association Chapter Advisor of the Year, Collegiate DECA
- Professional Certified Marketer, Designation from American Marketing Association
- Employee of the Year Award, The Price Group
- Numerous Addy Awards; Telly Award (1); Healthcare Marketing Awards (3) and Aurora Award (1)
- Association for Business Communication
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- International Communication Association
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409