Research: Intercultural & international, Ethnic media, Big Data, Data Analytics
Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 2016
M.A. Hochschule für Künste Bremen, 2009
Dr. Héctor Rendón is the Assistant Director of the Harris Institute for Hispanic and International Communication (HIHIC) at Texas Tech University, where he also works as Assistant Professor in the Department of Journalism and Creative Media Industries. He earned a Ph.D. in Communication, Rhetoric, and Digital Media from North Carolina State University, a M.A. in Digital Media at Hochschule für Künste Bremen, in Germany, and a Bachelor in Communication at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. His research has been published by international journals, and he has presented his work at major conferences. During his academic career Dr. Rendón has been distinguished with grants from several institutions, including a Fulbright grant from the U.S. Department of State, a Digital Humanities grant from HASTAC, and a DAAD grant from the German Academic Exchange Service. Before joining academia, he worked as a journalist for more than seven years.
International communication, data analytics, ethnic and intercultural communication, media coverage of minorities, Hispanic media, media reliability, news framing, media representations of migrants, public policy, and media production of cultural identities.
- Content Analysis
- Thematic Analysis
- Discourse/Conversation Analysis
- Data Analytics
- Intercultural & international
- Ethnic media
- Big Data
- Data Analytics
- Rendón, H., & Johnson, M. A. (2015). Coverage of Mexico in United States media: Phases
of academic scholarship. International Communication Gazette, 77(8), 735-752.
- Rendón, H., Wilson, A., & Stegall, J. (2018). Hacking ‘Fake News': Intelligence Community
Expertise and News Dissemination as Measurements for Media Reliability. Intelligence and National Security Journal.
- Rendón, H., De Moya, M., & Johnson, M. A. (Forthcoming). ‘Dreamers' or threat: Bilingual frame building of DACA immigrants. Newspaper Research Journal.
- Intercultural Communication
- Multimedia Production and Digital Culture
- Electronic Media Writing
- International Creative Media Industries
- Communicating in a Global Society
Leadership & Awards
- Assistant Editor, International Journal of Hispanic Media
- Notable Research Award – Postdoctoral Symposium NCSU — 2018
- Digital Humanities Scholar, HASTAC — 2014-2016
- Fulbright Grant — 2012-2015
- National Council of Science and Technology Grant (Conacyt México) 2012-2016
College of Media & Communication
AddressTexas Tech University, Box 43082, Lubbock, TX 79409