April 2, 2020
As we continue our efforts to keep the Texas Tech University community informed of the latest news and resources to ensure our health and wellness through this public health crisis, we want to let you know about the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA). The FFCRA provides eligible employees with paid sick leave or expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The FFCRA is effective from April 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020.
Under the FFCRA, an employee qualifies for paid sick time if the employee is unable to work (or unable to telework) due to a need for leave because the employee:
- is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
- has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
- is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
- is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2);
- is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19; or
- is experiencing any other substantially-similar condition specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Secretaries of Labor and Treasury.
Additionally, under the FFCRA, an employee qualifies for expanded family leave if the employee is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed (or child care provider is unavailable) for reasons related to COVID-19.
For additional information, please review the following FFCRA Resources:
The Department of Labor's FFCRA workplace poster
For questions related to this leave, please contact:
Human Resources Talent Management
Thank you for your partnership during this challenging international health situation.