African American Lecture Series
African American Lecture Series – A Brief History
The African American Lecture Series has featured such distinguished African American writers, artists and public intellectuals as James McBride, Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Tavis Smiley, Angela Davis, Dr. Cornel West, Harry Belafonte, LeVar Burton, Anita Hill, Dr. Michael Eric Dyson, Angela Rye, Dr. Eddie Glaude, Jr. and Kevin Richardson. The series' mission is to not only promote African American history, but also to educate and engage the Texas Tech University community and broader public about the contributions regarding the indelible impact African Americans have made on American society and indeed the world.
About Cheryl Brown Henderson
Cheryl Brown Henderson is one of the three daughters of the late Rev. Oliver L. Brown who, in the fall of 1950, along with 12 other parents in Topeka, Kansas and led by attorneys for the NAACP, filed suit on behalf of their children against the local Board of Education. Their case joined with cases from Delaware, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C. on appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, and on May 17, 1954, became known as the landmark decision; Brown v. the Board of Education.
Ms. Henderson is the Founding President of The Brown Foundation for Educational Equity, Excellence and Research, and owner of Brown & Associates, an educational consulting firm. She will discuss the historical significance and legacy of the decision and her continued advocacy for educational equity for all students.
This event is free and open the public. The in-person event will be held in the TTU Law School Lanier Auditorium on the Texas Tech campus. No ticket is required.
The event will also be available via Zoom Webinar. Click here to register for the virtual option.
- Speaker Announced for 2022 African American Lecture Series
- Speaker Announced for 2021 African American Lecture Series
- Speaker Announced for 2019 African American Lecture Series
- Speakers Announced for 2018 African-American History Month Lecture Series
- Levar Burton, Wes Moore to Speak for African-American History Lecture Series
- Harry Belafonte, Cornel West to Speak during African-American History Month
- Texas Tech Hosts African-American History Month Lecture Series
- Lecture Series Continues to Promote African-American Culture, History
Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
AddressDoak Hall, Office 101, P.O. Box 45065 Lubbock, Texas, 79409-5024