Available Scholarships Offered by the Division of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Please discuss in 500 words or less the most applicable aspects of your background or experiences that would enrich the diversity of the Texas Tech University campus community.
- Please describe in 500 words or less what Diversity & Equity mean to you?
- Provide 800 words describing the importance of diversity on a university campus and how the inclusiveness at TTU has positively affected you?
Three Required Documents
- Resume detailing work history, organization involvement, awards and honors, accolades etc.
- Personal Statement
- One reference letter
Click Here to access the Scholarship Application for the following programs:
The following programs will have specific eligibility requirements & additional requests for their applications, which are all listed below.
- Must have completed one year in the program to be eligible.
- Provide a list of your involvement in the program.
- Other possible commitments you may have.
First Generation Transition & Mentoring Program
- Must have a 2.50 GPA or higher to be eligible.
- Provide a 500 word essay to one of five prompts.
Prompts are provided below:
- Prompt #1 - What does it mean to you to be part of a minority community? What challenges has it brought and how have you overcome them? What are the benefits?
- Prompt #2 -Please explain how your experience volunteering and participating in community service has shaped your perspective on humanity. Elaborate on how these experiences have influenced your future ambitions now and even after graduation (This can include work within your field of study).
- Prompt #3 - As a first generation student, you may be taking more responsibility in initiating and navigating your college path than students whose parents earned a college degree. Please share how finding your way through completing high school, or completing courses at a community/junior college, or leaving a long time job to attend Texas Tech, will be an asset and prepare you for college success.
- Prompt #4 - The Lubbock community is becoming more diverse and with that, students will be expected to live, learn, and engage with individuals who come from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences different from their own. Tell us how you will contribute to, and benefit from, the many diverse perspectives and life experiences of students, faculty, and staff at Texas Tech University. How could you use this experience to improve life on campus and in the community.
- Prompt #5 - Relevant topic of your choice. If you choose this prompt, please be sure to elaborate on the significance of your topic so that it is clear to staff who reads it
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher to be eligible.
- If you have just completed your first semester at TTU, you must have a semester GPA of 3.00 or higher to be eligible.
- Provide experience with community outreach.
Military & Veterans Program
- Eligibility criteria varies. Click each scholarship to learn more.
College Connect Alumni Scholarship
- Essay min 500 words “Tell us how your IDEAL camp experience influenced your decision to attend Texas Tech University.”
- 1 Letter of recommendation from educator (counselor, teacher, coach).
Multicultural Faculty and Staff Association Endowed Scholarship, Bidal Aguero Endowed Scholarship, and Diversity Success Scholarship
- Completed Scholarship application
- Two letters of recommendation from college faculty or staff, or community leaders familiar with your academic work, campus involvement, interests, or community service participation
- Typed essay (500 word max.) explaining your interest and involvement in matters related to diversity, community engagement, leadership, and/or academic achievements
- Eligibility requirements will be listed in the application
The following will be due on May 14, 2019 for consideration for the scholarships listed above:
The Coca-Cola Foundation First Generation Student Scholarship will provide $5,000 each year, for four years, to students that are first-generation college students at Texas Tech University. The Coca-Cola Scholarship will be awarded to scholars that are enhancing their community through their academic pursuits. The scholarship application is open from July 1 through August 4, 2019.The application will close at 11:59pm central time on August 4, 2019.
Selected recipients will become a part of a community of support by enrolling in at least one of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's first generation programs to include: First Generation Transition and Mentoring Programs, TRIO Student Support Services, McNair Scholars Program, Office of Academic Enrichment/AVID and/or the Lauro Cavazos and Ophelia Powell-Malone Mentoring Program (Mentor Tech).
- Must be a recently graduated high school senior, entering Texas Tech University in the fall 2019
- Identify as a first-generation college student (neither parent nor guardians graduated with a bachelor's degree from a four-year college/university in the United States)
- Demonstrate financial need based upon the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Maintain a 3.00 university cumulative grade point average
The applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria to apply for the scholarship.Those that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be reviewed.
- Completed Scholarship application
- Personal Statement in 750 words or less that includes:
- Essay response in 750 words or less to the following question:
- Agreement and understanding of the scholarship criteria and maintenance of the scholarship
o How being a first-generation college student has influenced your decision to pursue a college degree and
o Your personal and academic goals and
o How receiving this scholarship would help in reaching your goals
o What does it mean to be an educated individual and what are the responsibilities that come with gaining a college degree?
o Be a first-generation college student at the time of application
o Maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student at Texas Tech University
o Maintain a 3.00 cumulative grade point average at Texas Tech University
o Actively participate in one of the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's first-generation programs
o Demonstrate financial need based upon the FAFSA