Check back soon for 2020 dates!
Generation TECH will provide high school students with an interest in renewable energy an opportunity to consider renewable energy technologies as a future academic pursuit. The camp will allow students to explore the variety of fields within renewable energy and learn about the different technology and variables considered when designing a wind turbine. While at camp, students will be able to familiarize themselves with skills needed to thrive in a career involving renewable energy.
Session topics and activities include:
- Building a wind turbine
- Land sailing at Reese Technology Center (Wind permitting)
- Renewable energy design considerations
- Solar town build
- Concepts of solar panel design and installation
- Principles and physics of electricity
- Environmental considerations of renewable energy
- Aspects of and considerations in renewable energy forecasting
The camp goals are to provide students with information regarding:
- Interdisciplinary nature of renewable energy
- What careers are possible in renewable energy fields
- What academic skills are necessary to succeed
Classes are team taught by experienced university and public school faculty and emphasize hands-on activities. Classes are interdisciplinary to allow campers to explore many aspects of STEM through the lens of an engineer. Students will be grouped into classes by grade level.
Room & Board
Students are housed in Texas Tech residence halls. Each camper will have one roommate. Campers may request a roommate (not guaranteed). Students will be supervised at all times by trained camp counselors. Meals are served daily in a Texas Tech dining hall. Each student will receive a linen set/package that includes: Flat Sheet, Fitted Sheet, Blanket, Pillow & Pillow Case, 2 Towels, 2 Hand Towels, 2 Washcloths, Bath Soap, and Disposable Cup. No changes in linens provided during stay.
Evenings are devoted to traditional summer fun that includes swimming, basketball, and volleyball at the TTU Student Rec Center, a pizza party, a trip to Main Event and college readiness activities.
Registration fee includes instruction, supervision, room and board, linen set/package, a camp t-shirt and evening recreation.