Dual Sensory Impairment Certificate
The coursework for the Dual Sensory Impairment Certificate is available both as a stand-alone certificate or an area of emphasis with the Master of Education in Special Education. One weekend of on-campus instruction serves as a supplement to your online education, ensuring that you get the best of both worlds: a program you can complete from wherever you are and a personal relationship with instructors and other students.
- 15 credit hours
- Coursework is completed primarily online. Two courses require one weekend per course of on-campus instruction.
- Prerequisite: bachelor's degree
- Students are not required to enroll in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enroll at the beginning of any one of the four semesters throughout the year.
- Learn more
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least two months prior to projected initial enrollment.
- Complete the ApplyTexas application.
- When asked to select your major, you will choose "Grad Certificate – Dual Sensory Impairment".
- $60 initial application fee or $50 for each subsequent application (including changes of entry date, add/change program requests, or readmission requests).
- Complete additional application as outlined by the Texas Tech University Graduate School.
- Applicants must have unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended sent to Texas Tech University Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are admitted, you will then be required to submit official transcripts.
- All international applicants must provide proof of English proficiency before their applications can be considered for admission. A list of acceptable exams can be found on the Graduate School International Prospective Student webpage. This test is waived only for graduates of U.S. universities or universities in English proficiency-exempt countries. Applicants who have completed at least two consecutive years at a college or university in the U.S. or in an English proficiency-exempt country, are also exempt from the English proficiency requirement.
- Check the Applications tab in your Raiderlink for notification of a change in your admissions status.
- Upon your acceptance into the Graduate School and the College of Education, you will work with a faculty advisor to develop a degree plan. If you receive a letter of rejection, you may contact the Associate Dean of Graduate Education and Research, 806.742.1998, ext. 436, for advisement regarding the admissions appeals process.
Interested in taking only one or two courses? Use Texas Tech University's Graduate Temporary Status to apply and take as many as 12 credit hours without completing the application process to a degree program.
Certificate Programs can be pursued independently or concurrently with a master’s program. Most courses are offered online; however, some courses have an on-campus component.
Required Courses (15 credit hours)
|EDSP 5383||Anatomy and Functions of the Visual System†|
|EDSP 5388||Programs and Services for Students with Dual Sensory Impairments|
|EDSP 5389||Strategies for Students with Multiple Disabilities and Visual Impairments or Deafblindness|
|EDSP 5394||Communication for Individuals with Deafblindness|
|EDSP 5395||Anatomy and Functions of the Auditory System for Students with Deafblindness|
†Courses require one weekend, on-campus instructional session.
For a Master of Education in Special Education, emphasis in Dual Sensory Impairments, 21 additional credit hours of coursework and a comprehensive evaluation or thesis will be required.
Contact the program coordinator by phone.
- Name: Rona Pogrund
- Phone: 806.834.3865
TTU Worldwide eLearning
Address:Texas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
Phone:Office (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537
Connect With Us:Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram