Fibers and Biopolymers Certificate
Texas Tech University's online Fibers and Biopolymers Certificate addresses topics associated with the 400,000 American jobs related to cotton production and processing. Students can pursue the certificate independently or concurrently with a related master's degree program. The program provides professionals an opportunity to understand the meaning and complexity of cotton production and processing and its impact on industrial cotton products.
- 12 credit hours
- Most courses are offered online; however, some courses are only offered face-to-face in Lubbock.
- Prerequisite: bachelor's degree
- Students are not required to enroll in a certain number of courses each semester, so completion time varies by individual. Learn more about the difference between part-time and full-time student status.
- Semester-based courses align with the Academic Calendar of Texas Tech University. New students may enroll at the beginning of any one of the four semesters throughout the year.
Although there is no application deadline, potential students are encouraged to submit all application materials at least two months prior to projected initial enrollment.
- Complete the ApplyTexas application.
- When asked to select your major, you will choose Graduate Certificate Program.
- When asked to indicate your major area of interest/specialty, type Fibers and Biopolymers.
- When asked what degree you will seek, choose Certification.
- In the Custom Questions section of the application, be sure to choose FBTS - Fibers and Biopolymers from the list of available Graduate Certificate programs.
- Complete additional admissions requirements as outlined by the Texas Tech University Graduate School.
- $60 initial application fee or $50 for each subsequent application (including changes of entry date, add/change program requests, or readmission requests).
- Students who plan to pursue the graduate certificate or the master's degree will need to submit Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores to the University.
- Applicants must have official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended sent to Texas Tech University Graduate School.
- International students must also submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score to the Graduate School.
- Apply to Texas Tech University's Department of Plant and Soil Science.
- Check the Applications tab in your Raiderlink for notification of a change in your admissions status.
- If you are accepted to the Graduate School and the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources Department of Plant and Soil Science, you will work with a faculty advisor to develop a degree plan.
Certificate programs can be pursued independently or concurrently with a master’s program. Most courses are offered online; however, some courses are only offered face-to-face in Lubbock, Texas. Get additional course information.
Prerequisite: Bachelor's degree in chemistry, biochemistry or another related field
Required Courses and Electives
(Required classes are designated with an asterisk*.)
Students must select a minimum of 12 hours from the following:
|Number||Title||Frequency of Offering||Prerequisite||Taught by Distance|
|PSS 5371*||Structure and Functionalization of Cotton Fibers||18 month rotation||None||
|PSS 5376*||Adv Studies in Cotton Fibers||18 month rotation||None||
|PSS 5373*||Biopolymers and Bioproducts||18 month rotation||None||
|PSS 5370†||U.S. and Global Cotton Fiber-Textiles Industries||Annually||None||
|AAEC 5393||Economics and Policies of the Global Cotton-Textile Complex||18 month rotation||AAEC 3315 or IE 3301 or ECON 3312 or consent of Instructor||
While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in reporting courses, policies and other statements, the University reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice.
All courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C.
†Offered face-to-face only. Full credit for PSS 5370 can be earned by attending a two-week, face-to-face seminar held in Lubbock, Texas, in August of each year.
Contact the program coordinator by phone.
- Name: Christi Chadwell
- Phone: 806-742-2838 ext. 233