Career Center Supports Online and Distance Students
By Joshua Blount, Editor
For many students, earning their college degree is the introduction of what will eventually become their professional career. Even with a degree in the future, there can be a lot of uncertainty in regards to navigating their career path. Students may begin thinking about updating their résumés or consider how they can break into their field after graduation, but are unsure of what resources are available to them. While there are likely online resources that can help students get started, the University Career Center offers the best, most accessible assistance for Red Raiders to get answers.
The University Career Center (UCC) assists Texas Tech University students and promotes student success to meet the challenges of today and the future. To help meet these challenges, the UCC stays abreast of trends and employer expectations to provide professional career development. In addition, the UCC provides on-campus employer recruitment and career services that are accessible to all Texas Tech students, including alumni, distance, online and abroad. Other services the University Career Center offers include résumé & cover letter writing assistance and mock interviews.
Lead Counselor Dominique Massey and her committee commented on how they meet the needs of students, particularly online and distance students.
"We meet students where they are. Whether they are undergraduates, graduates, distance, online, or alumni, we can provide assistance to them along their career path."
Some of the services the University Career Center provide include:
- Counseling online students throughout their career development and exploration by communicating with students via phone, Skype, or email.
- Posting valuable and insightful tips on social media and in our monthly newsletter.
- Offering career advising through use of career assessments which are accessible online.
- Providing an innovative approach to reach online students about new job developments and employer expectations through webinars.
- Consulting with employers to offer webinars during our Employer Information Sessions series.
- Granting access for all TTU students and alumni to www.HireRedRaiders.ttu.edu, a job board with thousands of diverse employers seeking to hire TTU students.
- Partnering with the Alumni Association to provide career assistance to alumni forever. Once a Red Raider, Always a Red Raider.
Massey and her committee also mentioned services they offer for graduating seniors seeking career assistance.
"Graduating online seniors can take advantage of all of our online services in addition to attending our annual career fairs hosted on the main campus in Lubbock to interact with employers.
"We also offer access to our Career Closet which is stocked with donations of like-new, professional garments. The Career Closet is a free resource for all Texas Tech University students."
Students may contact the University Career Center to make an appointment Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. by calling (806) 742-2210 or by e-mail at email@example.com. For more information, students can also visit the University Career Center site at www.careercenter.ttu.edu.
TTU University Career Center
eLearning & Academic Partnerships
AddressTexas Tech Plaza | 1901 University Avenue, Suite 513 | Lubbock, Texas 79410-5095 || Mailing: Box 45095 | Lubbock, TX 79409-5095
PhoneOffice (806) 742-7227 || Student Support (806) 853-5153 or toll-free (844) 897-0537