Director of Comparative Literature
Professor | CV
Ph.D.: Loyola University Chicago (2006)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 806.834.1246, 479 and 211B (office), kanikabat72 (skype)
Research: postcolonial studies, gender and sexuality studies, urban studies, and globalization
Select Journal Articles
- “Creating a Locational Counterpublic: Manushi and the Articulation of Human Rights and Sexuality from Delhi, India.” Forthcoming in Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 42.1 (July 2016), 25 pages.
- “City Botany: Reading Urban Ecologies in China through Amitav Ghosh's River of Smoke.” Narrative 21.3 (2013): 322-332. Special issue on Postmodernist Fiction.
- “Kipps, Belsey, and Jegede: Cosmopolitanism, Transnationalism, and Black Studies in Zadie Smith's On Beauty.” Callaloo 33.4 (Fall 2010): 1079-1092.
- “The Home, the Veil and the World: Reading Ismat Chughtai towards a 'Progressive' History of the Indian Women's Movement.” Part of the themed section "Theorizing the 'First Wave' Globally." Feminist Review 95 (June 2010): 27-44.
- “'Our Own Gayful Rest': A Postcolonial Archive.” Small Axe: A Caribbean Journal of Criticism 31 (March 2010): 46-59.
- “Pulling the Coat: Postcolonial Performativity in Black British Women's Drama.” African and Black Diaspora: An International Journal 2.1 (January 2009): 85-95. Reprinted in African Diaspora and the Metropolis: Reading the African, African American and Caribbean, Ed. Fasil Demissie. New York: Routledge, 2009.
- “Emergent Sexual Identities in Indian Women's Writing.” South Asian Review. 29.1 (2008, issue published in Fall 2009). 251-268.
- “In Alliance with the Women's Movement.” Nukkad Janam Samvad [Street Theatre Dialogue]. Special issue on "Women and Performance.” 9.37-38 (March 2008): 14-16.
- “'Daughters who know the languages of power': Community, Sexuality, and Postcolonial Development in Tess Onwueme's Tell it to Women.” Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies. 9.1 (March 2007): 124-138.
Select Book Chapters
- “The Right to Food Staples in India: Dramatizing a Cultural History of Shame and Pride” Food and Theatre on the World Stage. Eds. Dorothy Chansky and Ann Folino White. New York: Routledge, 2015. 207-220.
- “Rebellion, Revision, and Renewal: Anglophone and Francophone Caribbean Women Writers in the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries.” The Cambridge History of Latin American Women's Literature, edited by Ileana Rodríguez, Mónica Szurmuk. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2015. 381-395.
- “'Lone Starring' Comparative Literature in U.S. English Departments.” Quest of a Discipline: New Academic Directions for Comparative Literature. Ed. Rizio Yohannan Raj. Hyderabad: Cambridge UP, 2012. 49-60.
- Co-authored with R. Rice. “Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding and the Transcoded Audiologic of Postcolonial Convergence.” Postcolonial Cinema Studies. Eds. Sandra Ponzanesi and Marguerite Waller. Oxford: Routledge, 2012. 205-217.
- “Bread, Blood, and Bones: Democratic Socialism and Jamaican Drama” in Southern Postcolonialisms. Ed. Sumanyu Satpathy. New Delhi: Routledge, 2009. 184-95.
- “Sistren Theatre Collective.” The Encyclopedia of the African Diaspora. Ed. Carole Boyce Davies. ABC-CLIO, 2008.
- “Gay and Lesbian Literature.” South Asian Literature in English: An Encyclopedia. Ed. Jaina C. Sanga. Connecticut: Greenwood Publishers, 2004.
Book Reviews / Review Essays
- Remembering Africa: The Rediscovery of Colonialism in Contemporary African Literature by Dirk Göttsche, Camden House, New York, 2013 and Postcolonial Witnessing: Trauma Out of Bounds by Stef Craps, Palgrave Macmillan, Houndsmills, 2013. Wasafiri 30.2 (February 2015): 90-91.
- The Fifth Figure by Jean 'Binta' Breeze, Bloodaxe Books, Northumberland, UK, 2006 and Alternatives Within the Mainstream: British Black and Asian Theatres edited by Dimple Godiwala, Cambridge Scholars Press, Newcastle, UK, 2006. Wasafiri 54 (Spring 2008): 82-83.
- Black British Literature: Novels of Transformation by Mark Stein, Ohio State University Press, Columbus, USA. Postcolonial Text 3.1 (2007). Online.
- Because I Have a Voice: Queer Politics in India edited by Arvind Narrain and Gautam Bhan, Yoda Press, New Delhi, 2005. Wasafiri 50 (Spring 2007): 74-75.
- Feminist Visions and Queer Futures in Postcolonial Drama: Community, Kinship, and Citizenship. New York: Routledge, 2010. 978-0-415-81817-9.
- Caribbean Poetry: Derek Walcott and Edward Brathwaite. For the M.A. course “New Literatures in English,” Indira Gandhi National Open University. New Delhi: IGNOU, 2001.
Awards / Sponsored Research
- Texas Tech Scholarship Catalyst Program Grant: 2015-2016
- Texas Tech Scholarship Catalyst Program Grant: 2014-2015
- Visiting Guest Professorship, University of Delhi, India: Fall 2014
- Texas Tech Transdisciplinary Academy Fellowship, (with Rice, R., Peaslee, R., Barkdull, J.): 2014
- Visiting Fellow, Department of English, University of Delhi, India 2013
- Texas Tech Proposal Stimulus Program Grant: 2013-2014
- Texas Tech Creative Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Fellowship: 2012-2013
- Texas Tech Creative Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Fellowship: 2011-2012
- Texas Tech Institute for Inclusive Excellence Fellowship: 2011
- Visiting Professor Fellowship to Central University, Kasargod, Kerala (India): Fall 2011
- Fellowship to the Archaeologies of Black Memory Seminar and Symposium organized by the Small Axe Collective and the University of Miami: 2007
- Texas Tech University College of Arts and Sciences Humanities Fellowship: 2007-2009
- Loyola University Chicago Edward Crown Fellowship in the Humanities: 2000-2004
- Loyola University Chicago Amber Garvett and David Tuma Award for Academic Excellence: 2002
- Scholarship for International Summer Program at the University of Cambridge: 1998
- Kohli Memorial Scholarship for best student in M.Phil. at the University of Delhi: 1997
- Principal B. B. Gupta Gold Medal and Scholarship for first position in M.A. (English) at the University of Delhi: 1994
- Brij Krishan Chandiwala Scholarship for Proficiency in English, Janki Devi Memorial College, University of Delhi: 1990