Michael J. Faris
Dr. Michael J. Faris's research interests include digital rhetoric and literacy practices, social media, feminist and queer rhetorics, and composition and technical communication pedagogy. As Assistant Chair, he co-administers the First-Year Writing program at Texas Tech.
Dr. Faris is also the Managing Editor for Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy.
- Danforth, Courtney S., Kyle D. Stedman, & Michael J. Faris (Eds.). (2018). Soundwriting pedagogies. Logan, UT: Computers and Composition Digital Press/Utah State University Press. Available at http://ccdigitalpress.org/book/soundwriting/
- Bivens, Kristin M., Lora Arduser, Candice A. Welhausen, & Michael J. Faris. (2018). A multisensory literacy approach to biomedical healthcare technologies: Aural, tactile, and visual layered health literacies. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 22(2). Available at http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/22.2/topoi/bivens-et-al/index.html
- Faris, Michael J., Andrew M. Blick, Jack T. Labriola, Leslie Hankey, Jamie May, & Richard T. Mangum. (2018). Building rhetoric one bit at a time: A case of maker rhetoric with littleBits. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 22(2). Available at http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/22.2/praxis/faris-et-al/index.html
- Faris, Michael J. (2018). How to be gay with locative media: The rhetorical work of Grindr as a platform. Present Tense: A Journal of Rhetoric in Society, 6(3). Available at http://www.presenttensejournal.org/volume-6/how-to-be-gay-with-locative-media-the-rhetorical-work-of-grindr-as-a-platform/
- Faris, Michael J. (2017). Contextualizing students' media ideologies and practices: An empirical study of social media use in a writing class. In Stephanie Vie & Douglas Walls (Eds.), Social writing/social media: Publics, presentation, and pedagogies (pp. 283–307). Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and University Press of Colorado. Available at https://wac.colostate.edu/books/perspectives/social/
- Faris, Michael J., Sarah E. Austin, Erica Stone, & Joyce Locke Carter. (2017). Remediating the CCCC Chair's Address for video. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 22(1). Available at http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/22.1/inventio/faris-et-al/index.html
- Faris, Michael J., & Kristen R. Moore. (2016). Emerging scholars and social media use: A pilot study of risk. Communication Design Quarterly, 4(2), 52–63.
- Cox, Matthew B., & Michael J. Faris. (2015). An annotated bibliography of LGBTQ rhetorics.
Present Tense: A Journal of Rhetoric in Society, 4(2). Available at http://www.presenttensejournal.org/volume-4/an-annotated-bibliography-of-lgbtq-rhetorics/
Reprinted (2017). In Steve Parks, Brian Bailie, Romeo Garcia, Adela Licona, Kate Novickas, & David Blakeslee (Eds.), The Best of the Journals in Rhetoric and Composition: 2015–2016 (pp. 249–261). Anderson, SC: Parlor Press.
- Faris, Michael J. (2014). Coffee shop writing in a networked age. College Composition and Communication, 66(1), 21–24.
- Faris, Michael J., & Stuart A. Selber. (2013). iPads in the technical communication classroom: An empirical study of technology integration and use. Journal of Business and Technical Communication,27(4), 359–408.
- Adams, Heather, Jeremy Engels, Michael J. Faris, Debra Hawhee, & Mark Hlavacik. (2012). Deliberation in the midst of crisis. Cultural Studies <==> Critical Methodologies, 12(4), 333–341.
- Faris, Michael J., & Stuart A. Selber. (2011). E-book issues in composition: A partial
assessment and perspective for teachers. Composition Forum, 24. Available at http://compositionforum.com/issue/24/ebook-issues.php
Reprinted in (2013). S. Parks, B. Glascott, B. Bailie, H. Christiansen, & S. White (eds.), The Best of the Independent Rhetoric and Composition Journals: 2011 (pp. 97–117). Anderson, SC: Parlor Press.
- CCCC Executive Committee, 2015–2018
- Managing Editor, Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 2017–present
- Associate Editor, Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 2016–2017
- Assistant Editor, Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 2013–2015
- Social Media Co-Coordinator, ATTW, 2013–2016
- CCCC Committee on the Status of Graduate Students, 2012–2018 (Chair, 2015–2018)