Professor | CV
Ph.D.: Ball State University (2002)
Contact: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, 488 (office), ricrice (skype/whatsapp), 2549902020 (qq), ricrice14 (wechat), 806.834.0573 (office), 806.319.5894 (message), 806.741.0678 (cell)
ENGL5365: Online Writing Instruction (Summer, 2020)
ENGL3365: Professional Report Writing (Fall, 2020)
ENGL5393: Grants for Industry/Academy (Fall, 2020)
iSponsor: International scholars (call me 米富)
iResearch: Contemporary composition and rhetoric, new media, problem-based learning, portfolio assessment, intercultural communication, online writing instruction, and service-learning.
Journal Special Issues
- St.Amant, K., & Rice, R. (Eds.). (2015). Online writing in global contexts: Rethinking the nature of connections and communication in the age of international online media. Computers and Composition, 38(B). v-x. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/87554615/38. doi:10.1016/S8755-4615(15)00104-8 (50%)
- Rice, R., & Pohland, L. (Eds.). (9/10-2011). Intercom: The Magazine of the Society for Technical Communication. New Media Labs. http://intercom.stc.org. (100%)
- Rice, R., (Ed.). (Fall 2001). Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 6(2). http:/english.ttu.edu/kairos/6.2. (100%)
- Cleary, Y., Rice, R., Zemliansky, P., & St.Amant, K. (with J. Borgman). (2019). Perspectives on teaching writing online in global contexts: Ideas, insights, and projections. Research in Online Literacy Education (ROLE), 2(1). http://roleolor.org/perspectives-on-teaching-writing-online.html. (25%)
- St.Amant, K., & Rice, R. (2015). Online writing in global contexts: rethink the nature of connections and communication in the age of international online media. Computers and Composition, 38(B). Introduction. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S8755461515001048. v-x (not peer-reviewed). (50%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2014). Building a better PHR paradigm: Lessons from the discontinuation of Google Health™. Health Policy and Technology. http://www.healthpolicyandtechnology.org. (50%)
- Rice, R., & Hausrath, Z. (2014). The necessity of teaching intercultural communication competence in literacy classes. The Journal of College Literacy and Learning, 40. 19-34. http://j-cll.com. (60%)
- Williams, J., Rice, R., Lauren, B., Morrison, S., Van Winkle, K., & Elliot, T. (2013). Problem-based universal design for learning in technical communication and rhetoric instruction. Journal of Problem Based Learning in Higher Education, 1(1). 247-261. http://ojs.aub.aau.dk/index.php/pbl/article/view/285. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). "Smart" connect-exchange intercultural study abroad models. Connexions: International Professional Communication Journal, 1(1). 105-110. http://connexionsjournal.org/special-issues/1-1. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2013). Mobile medicine as efficient and effective intercultural health communication praxis. Connexions: International Professional Communication Journal, 1(1). 47-53. http://connexionsjournal.org/special-issues/1-1. (50%)
- Lauren, B., & Rice, R. (2013). Teaching style in basic writing through remediating photo essays. The Basic Writing E-Journal. New York, NY: CUNY. http://bwe.ccny.cuny.edu/LaurenandRiceRemediatingPhoto.html. (50%)
- Rice, R. (September/October 2011). New media labs as key technical communication support spaces. Intercom: The Magazine of the Society for Technical Communication. Fairfax, VA: Society for Technical Communication. 6-9. http://intercom.stc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/intercomseptoctweb.pdf. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Summer 2007). iRhetoric placeshifting: A new media approach to teaching the classical rhetoric course. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 11(3). http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/11.3/binder.html?topoi/rice. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 2007). Computers & writing 2006 through the rear-view mirror: A redux. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 11(2). http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/11.2/binder.html?topoi/rice. (100%)
- Ball, C., & Rice, R. (Spring 2006). Reading multimodal texts: Remediating the text. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 10(2). http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/10.2/binder2.html?coverweb/riceball. (50%)
- Papper, C. C., Reynolds, S. K., & Rice, R. (Fall 2000). Pedagogy, practice, and the technology of writing: Effective K-16 computer-mediated teacher and student training strategies. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 5(2). http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/5.2/coverweb/papperreynoldsrice. (40%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 1997). Community inside the classroom through building web-pages. Oregon Council of Teachers of English: The Chalkboard, 21(1): 2-3. http://www.octe.org/chalkboard.html. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 1997). Socio-CyberReality: The formation of multiple realities through virtual HyperMedia. Oregon English Journal, 19(2): 61-64. http://www.octe.org/oregon-english-journal.html. (100%)
- Rice, R. (2015). Faculty professionalization through agile refactoring support thinking for OWI. In B. L. Hewett, & K. E. DePew (eds.). Foundational Practices in Online Writing Instruction (pp. 389-410). Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. 978-1-60235-665-8. http://wac.colostate.edu/books/owi. (100%)
- Rice, R., & Lauren, B. (2014). Developing intercultural competence through glocal activity theory using the connect-exchange study abroad app. In G. Vershuldsdonck, & M. Limbu (eds.). Digital rhetoric and global literacies: Communication modes and digital practices in the networked world (pp. 154-173). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 978-1-46664-916-3. http://www.igi-global.com/book/digital-rhetoric-global-literacies/78964. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). The hypermediated teaching philosophy ePortfolio performance support system. In K. V. Wills, & R. Rice (eds.). ePortfolio performance support systems: Constructing, presenting, and assessing portfolios (pp. 41-55). Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. 978-1-60235-441-8. http://wac.colostate.edu/books/eportfolios/chapter2.pdf. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2013). Mobile medicine practice. In Z. L. Berge, & L. Y. Muilenburg (eds.). Handbook of mobile learning (pp. 483-496). NY: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415503693. 978-0-415-50369-3. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). Constructing new mediated knowledge in the process of writing for life. In G. Desai (ed.). The virtual transformation of the public sphere: Knowledge, politics, identity (pp. 246-257). New Delhi, India: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415811712. 978-0-415-81171-2. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2012). Dermatological telemedicine diagnoses and andragogical training using web 2.0 mobile medicine video conferencing. In V. P. Dennen, & J. B. Myers (eds.). Virtual professional development and informal learning via social networks (pp. 279-296). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/virtual-professional-development-informal-learning/62626. 978-1-46661815-2. (50%)
- Batra, K., & Rice, R. (2012). Transcoded remediation and convergence: Spectacle, sleaze, and bollywood dreams in Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding. In S. Ponzanesi, & M. Waller (eds.). Postcolonial cinema studies (pp. 205-217). Oxford, England: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415782296. 978-0-415-78229-6. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2012). ePortfolios and the communicative intellect in online education. In S. Kelsey, & K. St.Amant (eds.). Computer mediated communication: Issues and approaches in education (pp. 62-73). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/computer-mediated-communication/51945. 978-1-613-50077-4. (100%)
- Rice, R., & C. C. Papper. (2005). Multimodal composing: Teaching effective communication through exploring oral, chirographic, typographic, and electronic culture. In M. Day, & C. Lipson (eds.). Technical communications and the world wide web (pp. 295-304). NY: Allyn & Bacon. http://www.amazon.com. 978-0-805-84572-3. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2001). Composing the intranet-based electronic portfolio using "common" tools. In B. Cambridge, S. Kahn, D. P. Tompkins, & K. B. Yancey (eds.). Electronic portfolios: Emerging practices for student, faculty, and institutional learning (pp. 37-43). Washington, D.C.: The American Association for Higher Education. https://sty.presswarehouse.com. 978-1-563-77050-0. (100%)
New Media Exhibits
Rice, R. (2016). Synoptics wordscape exhibition, TTU Museum (with the TTU Humanities Center and New Media/Rhetoric graduate course).
Rice, R. (2016). Synoptics wordscape kiosk, TTU Museum (with the TTU Humanities Center and New Media/Rhetoric graduate course).
Rice, R. (2014). Living through chess thinking. LILA Foundation for Translocal Initiatives: The Luminous Idea of Life Appreciation. Our Warring Moves: Space, Conflict, Beauty Dialogues. New Delhi, India. http://www.lilainteractions.in/our-warring-moves/#loulou_d_aki
Rice, R. (2009). iPLAY, Lubbock Science Spectrum (with New Media/Rhetoric graduate course; an Interaction Design undergraduate class updated it to iPlay 2.0). Computer installation.
- Rice, R., & St.Amant, K. (Eds.). (2018). Thinking globally, composing locally: Rethinking online writing in the age of the
global Internet. Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado/Utah State University Press. 380 pages.
- Wills, K. V., & Rice, R. (Eds.). (2013). ePortfolio performance support systems: Constructing, presenting, and assessing portfolios. Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press.
239 pages. Print. (50%)
- Reynolds, N., & Rice, R. (2006). Portfolio keeping: A guide for students. 2/e. New York, NY: Bedford. 110 pages. Print. (50%)
- Reynolds, N., & Rice, R. (2006). Portfolio teaching: A guide for teachers of college writing courses. 2/e. New York, NY: Bedford, 2006. 117 pages. Print. (50%)
Awards / Sponsored Research
- Shaping the global narrative on media literacy: Invited workshop. U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and Office of Fulbright Alumni Affairs, 2020.
- Fulbright Specialist Program. U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and World Learning Fulbright Specialist Team, 2020-2023.
- Service-learning research travel award. TTU TLPDC, 2019.
- Coalition of Community Assistance Volunteers building excellence campaign. Communities of West Texas, 2019.
- Technical Communication Advisor/Researcher. Southeast University (China), 2019.
- Faculty spotlight. TTU Teaching, Learning, & Professional Development Center, 2019.
- Coalition of Community Assistance Volunteers building utilities grant. Communities of West Texas, 2018.
- Service-Learning Faculty Fellow. TTU Teaching, Learning & Professional Development Center, 2018.
- Coalition of Community Assistance Volunteers capacity grant. Helen Jones Foundation, 2018.
- Coalition of Community Assistance Volunteers capacity grant. CH Foundation, 2018.
- TTU faculty international scholarship global vision award (runner-up). TTU Office of International Affairs, 2018.
- TTU Department of English visiting international scholars. TTU Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement, 2017.
- Faculty development leave. TTU A&S, 2017.
- Visiting research professor. Southeast University (China), 2017.
- Synoptics wordscape exhibition. TTU Museum, 2016.
- Synoptics wordscape interactive kiosk. TTU Humanities Center, 2015.
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar South and Central Asia Regional Travel Program (Sri Lanka), 2014.
- Visiting research professor. Ashoka University (India), Fall 2014.
- Transdisciplinary research academy sponsored research. TTU A&S, 2014.
- U.S. Fulbright-Nehru Scholars Award: Shifting Programmatic Studies in US-India English/Communication and Study Abroad Programs, 2014.
- Multicultural course transformation project. TTU TLPDC, 2014.
- India study abroad/exchange sponsored travel grant. TTU Provost's Office, 2013.
- Service-learning faculty fellow. TTU TLPDC, 2013.
- Developing the "smart" media connect-exchange study abroad model. TTU A&S, 2013.
- Faculty development leave. TTU A&S, 2011.
- Visiting research professor/faculty development leave at the Central University of Kerala (India). TTU A&S, 2011.
- Distance learning and India. CPTSC research grant, 2011.
- Course redesign project grant. Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board of Academic Excellence and Research, 2008.
- Big 12 faculty fellowship grant, “ISUComm, Technology, and New Media Research at Iowa State University," 2007.
- TTU Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Faculty Incentive Grant, “Digital portfolio
as praxis: English and Education students implement iMovie video clips to assess teaching,”