PhD, University of Minnesota
Office: ENGL/PHIL 363-D
Dr. Tham's research interests include design thinking, user experience & usability
studies, collaboration, multimodality, and technical communication pedagogy. He is
currently editing an open-access collection on keywords and concepts in maker culture
and design thinking.
- Duin, A.H. & Tham, J. (Forthcoming). The current state of analytics: Implications for learning management system (LMS) use in writing pedagogy. Computers and Composition.
- Tham, J. (2018). Interactivity in an age of immersive media: Seven dimensions for wearable technology, internet of things, and technical communication. Technical Communication, 65(1), 46-65.
- Duin, A.H., & Tham, J. (2018). Cultivating code literacy: A case study of course redesign through advisory board engagement. Communication Design Quarterly, 6(3), 44-58.
- Tham, J. (2017). Wearable writing: Enriching student peer reviews with point-of-view video feedback using Google Glass. Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 47(1), 22-55.
- Social media manager, ACM Special Interest Group on Design of Communication (SIGDOC).
- 2019 Frank R. Smith Outstanding Article in Technical Communication. Society for Technical Communication (STC).
- Co-editor, Journal of Business and Technical Communication special issue: Design thinking approaches in technical communication.
- Co-editor, Computers & Composition special issue: Wearable technology, ubiquitous computing, and immersive experience.