Kim specializes in theoretical syntax and semantics, with secondary specialty in language acquisition and pragmatics. Her research aims to deepen our understanding of how linguistic systems work together with context to derive sentence meanings. She has worked on various linguistic phenomena including wh-movement, relativization, polarity, and Case in English, Korean, Japanese, and Russian, among others.[Books
- To appear. "On the Position of Adnominal Adjectival Expressions in Korean." In C.-T. James Huang & F.-h. Liu eds., Peaches and Plums. Taipei, Taiwan: Academia Sinica.
- To appear. Capturing the Non-optionality of Participial Codas in There-BE-Existentials. In E. Görgülü et al. eds., Proceedings of WECOL 2011, California State University-Fresno.
- 2011 "The Imperfective Puzzle in Korean." 2010. In den Dekken and McClure eds., The Japanese/Korean Linguistics 18, CSLI, Stanford, CA.
- 2011 The Meaning of Utterance-Final EVEN. Journal of English Linguistics/Sage Publications, 39(1), 36-64. (with Nathan Jahnke)
- 2009 There-Existentials with Participial Codas and Theticity. In Young-Se Kang et al. eds., Current Issues in Linguistic Interfaces, Vol.1, 319-330, Seoul, Korea: Hankook Moonhwasa.
- 2009 A Fresh Look at the Ambiguity Puzzle of KO ISS Imperfective in Korean. In Han et al. eds., 1st Simon Fraser University Working Papers: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on East Asian Linguistics.
- 2009 "E-type Anaphora and Three Types of Kes-Construction in Korean." Natural Language and Linguistic Theory 27(2).
- 2008 Relevance of Grammar and Pragmatics to the Relevancy Condition. Language Research 44(1): 95-120.
- 2008 Revisiting the Relevancy Condition on internally headed relatives in Korean. In Proceedings of International Conference on East Asian Linguistics, University of Toronto Working Papers 28, 137–157.
- 2007 The effect of the speaker's motivation on the interpretation of logical connectives. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, 1757, Nashville, TN. (with James German, Eyal Sagi, Stefan Kaufmann, Brady Clark)
- 2007 Formal Linking in Internally Headed Relatives. Natural Language Semantics 15(4): 279-315.
- 2007 Domain Restriction in Freedom of Choice: A View from Korean Indet-Na Items. In Proceedings of Sinn Und Bedeutung 11, 375-389. (with Stefan Kaufmann)
- 2007 Internally Headed Relatives Parallel Direct Perception Complements. In E. Hudson et al. eds., Japanese/Korean Linguistics 13, Stanford, CA: CSLI.
- 2005/2006 Acquisition of an Adjunct Island inside There-Sentences. Journal of Cognitive Science 6(1): 73-95.
- 2004 Internally Headed Relatives Instantiate Situation Subordination. In K. Moulton and M. Wolf eds., Proceedings of NELS 34, 333-344. Amherst, MA: GLSA publications.
- 2004 The Genitive of Negation in Russian: Blocking of Case-licensing by Negation. In Mary Andronis et al. eds., Papers from the 38th Chicago Linguistic Society Meeting: Main Session, 345-360. Chicago, IL: CLS publications.
- 2004 Three Types of Kes-Nominalization. In I.-H. Lee et al. eds., Harvard Studies in Korean Linguistics 10, 479-492, Seoul, Korea: Hanshin Publishing Company.
- 2003 Children's Sensitivity to Adjunct Islands inside There-Sentences. In B. Beachley et al. eds., Proceedings of the 27th Boston University Conference on Language Development, 425-436. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
- 2003 The Genitive of Negation in Russian: a Relativized Minimality Account. In W. Browne et al. eds., Proceedings of the 11th Workshop of Formal Approaches to Slavic Linguistics.
- 2002 The Absence of Adjectives and Noun Modification in Korean. Proceedings of the 2002 International Conference on Korean Linguistics, Hankwuk Mwunhwasa: Seoul, Korea.
- 2002 Does Korean have Adjectives? In T. Ionin et al. eds., MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 43, 71-89.
- 1999 Implementing Group-work in the EFL Korean Secondary School Classroom Context: Focusing on Scenarios and Dramas. 1999. Studies in English Education 3(2), 173-186.
- Revisiting the Result State Reading of "-Ko Iss-" Imperfective. Workshop on Tense and Aspect of Korean and Japanese. Seoul National University. (2012).
- On the Status of Temporal Markers in Attributive Clauses in Korean. Workshop on Tense and Aspect of Korean and Japanese. Seoul National University. (2012).
- On the Position of Adnominal Elements in Korean and DP structure. Korean Society of Language and Information Meeting. Daewoo Building, Seoul, Korea. (2012).
- Presupposition and Implicature in Korean. Dept. of Applied Linguistics, Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas, TX. (2011).
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloquium, Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas, TX, "Adnominal Modification in Korean and DP structure," Regional. (February 2011).
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloquium, Department of Linguistics, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea, "The Imperfective Puzzle in Korean," International, Peer Reviewed/Refereed. (June 22, 2010).Page 104
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloquium, Department of Linguistics & TESOL, University of Texas-Arlington, Arlington, Texas, "The Variability of There-BE-Existentials with Participial Codas," Regional. (September 25, 2009).
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloquium, Seoul National University, South Korea, "Domain Restriction in Freedom of Choice: A View from Korean NWUKWU-NA Phrases," International. (2006).
- Kim, M.-J., Kyoto University Korean Linguistics Circle Meeting, University of Kyoto, Japan, "Eventuality Type and the Interpretation of Internally Headed Relatives," International. (March 2006).
- Kim, M.-J., Workshop on Current Issues in Formal Semantics, University of Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan, "Domain Restriction in Freedom of Choice: A View from Korean INDET-NA Items," International. (March 2006).
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloqium, University of Chicago, Dept of Linguistics, Chicago, IL, "What Do Korean Internally-Headed Relatives Tell us about Event Structure?," National, Published Elsewhere. (2005).
- Kim, M.-J., Linguistics Colloquium, Northwestern Univeresity, Evanston, IL, "Internally-Headed Relatives as a Window into Event Structure," Regional, Published Elsewhere. (2005).
- Kim, M.-J., Workshop on Head-Final Languages, Syracus University, Syracus, NY, "Formal Linking and Internally-Headed Relatives in Korean and Japanese," International, Published Elsewhere. (2005).
- FY13 Internal Competitive Funding Opportunity to Advance Scholarship in the Creative Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (CAHSS) award, Texas Tech. 2012.
- Faculty Development Leave Award, Texas Tech. 2012.
- President's Excellence in Diversity & Equity Award for Faculty (nominee), Texas Tech. 2012.
- The Academy of Korean Studies Research Grant Award. 2010.
- Spencer A. Wells Award for Creativity in Teaching (nominee), Texas Tech. 2009
- Event Structure and Internally-Headed Relative Clauses: A View from Korean and Japanese (author), Published by VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller, 244 pages, ISBN-10: 3639088611. 2008.
- Proceedings of the 31st Meeting of the North Eastern Linguistic Society (NELS): George Town University Meeting (co-editor with Uri Strauss), Published by GLSA, UMass-Amherst, 2 volumes. 2001.