Associate Professor | CV
Ph.D.: Ball State University (2002)
Contact: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org (large files), 472 (office), ricrice (skype), ricrice (whatsapp), 2549902020 (qq), ricrice14 (wechat), 806.319.5894 (message)
Sabbatical (Fall, 2017)
ENGL3365 Professional Report Writing (Spring, 2018)
ENGL4368 Advanced Web Design (Spring, 2018)
iSponsor: International scholars (call me 米富)
iResearch: Contemporary composition and rhetoric, new media, problem-based learning, portfolio assessment, intercultural communication, online writing instruction, and service-learning.
Journal Special Issues
- St.Amant, K., & Rice, R. (Eds.). (2015). Online writing in global contexts: Rethinking the nature of connections and communication in the age of international online media. Computers and Composition, 38(Part B). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/87554615/38/supp/PB. doi:10.1016/S8755-4615(15)00104-8 (50%)
- Rice, R., & Pohland, L. (Eds.). (9/10-2011). Intercom: The Magazine of the Society for Technical Communication. New Media Labs. http://intercom.stc.org. (100%)
- Rice, R., (Ed.). (Fall 2001). Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 6(2). http:/english.ttu.edu/kairos/6.2. (100%)
- St.Amant, K., & Rice, R. (2015). Online writing in global contexts: rethink the nature of connections and communication in the age of international online media. Computers and Composition, 38(Part B). Introduction. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S8755461515001048. v-x (not peer-reviewed). (50%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2014). Building a better PHR paradigm: Lessons from the discontinuation of Google Health™. Health Policy and Technology. http://www.healthpolicyandtechnology.org. (50%)
- Rice, R., & Hausrath, Z. (2014). The necessity of teaching intercultural communication competence in literacy classes. The Journal of College Literacy and Learning, 40. 19-34. http://j-cll.com. (60%)
- Williams, J., Rice, R., Lauren, B., Morrison, S., Van Winkle, K., & Elliot, T. (2013). Problem-based universal design for learning in technical communication and rhetoric instruction. Journal of Problem Based Learning in Higher Education, 1(1). 247-261. http://ojs.aub.aau.dk/index.php/pbl/article/view/285. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). "Smart" connect-exchange intercultural study abroad models. Connexions: International Professional Communication Journal, 1(1). 105-110. http://connexionsjournal.org/special-issues/1-1. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2013). Mobile medicine as efficient and effective intercultural health communication praxis. Connexions: International Professional Communication Journal, 1(1). 47-53. http://connexionsjournal.org/special-issues/1-1. (50%)
- Lauren, B., & Rice, R. (2013). Teaching style in basic writing through remediating photo essays. The Basic Writing E-Journal. New York, NY: CUNY. http://bwe.ccny.cuny.edu/LaurenandRiceRemediatingPhoto.html. (50%)
- Rice, R. (September/October 2011). New media labs as key technical communication support spaces. Intercom: The Magazine of the Society for Technical Communication. Fairfax, VA: Society for Technical Communication. 6-9. http://intercom.stc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/intercomseptoctweb.pdf. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Summer 2007). iRhetoric placeshifting: A new media approach to teaching the classical rhetoric course. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 11(3). http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/11.3/binder.html?topoi/rice. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 2007). Computers & writing 2006 through the rear-view mirror: A redux. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 11(2). http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/11.2/binder.html?topoi/rice. (100%)
- Ball, C., & Rice, R. (Spring 2006). Reading multimodal texts: Remediating the text. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 10(2). http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/10.2/binder2.html?coverweb/riceball. (50%)
- Papper, C. C., Reynolds, S. K., & Rice, R. (Fall 2000). Pedagogy, practice, and the technology of writing: Effective K-16 computer-mediated teacher and student training strategies. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 5(2). http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/5.2/coverweb/papperreynoldsrice. (40%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 1997). Community inside the classroom through building web-pages. Oregon Council of Teachers of English: The Chalkboard, 21(1): 2-3. http://www.octe.org/chalkboard.html. (100%)
- Rice, R. (Spring 1997). Socio-CyberReality: The formation of multiple realities through virtual HyperMedia. Oregon English Journal, 19(2): 61-64. http://www.octe.org/oregon-english-journal.html. (100%)
- Rice, R. (2015). Faculty professionalization through agile refactoring support thinking for OWI. In B. L. Hewett, & K. E. DePew (eds.). Foundational Practices in Online Writing Instruction (pp. 389-410). Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. 978-1-60235-665-8. http://wac.colostate.edu/books/owi. (100%)
- Rice, R., & Lauren, B. (2014). Developing intercultural competence through glocal activity theory using the connect-exchange study abroad app. In G. Vershuldsdonck, & M. Limbu (eds.). Digital rhetoric and global literacies: Communication modes and digital practices in the networked world (pp. 154-173). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 978-1-46664-916-3. http://www.igi-global.com/book/digital-rhetoric-global-literacies/78964. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). The hypermediated teaching philosophy ePortfolio performance support system. In K. V. Wills, & R. Rice (eds.). ePortfolio performance support systems: Constructing, presenting, and assessing portfolios (pp. 41-55). Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. 978-1-60235-441-8. http://wac.colostate.edu/books/eportfolios/chapter2.pdf. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2013). Mobile medicine practice. In Z. L. Berge, & L. Y. Muilenburg (eds.). Handbook of mobile learning (pp. 483-496). NY: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415503693. 978-0-415-50369-3. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2013). Constructing new mediated knowledge in the process of writing for life. In G. Desai (ed.). The virtual transformation of the public sphere: Knowledge, politics, identity (pp. 246-257). New Delhi, India: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415811712. 978-0-415-81171-2. (100%)
- Brandt, R., & Rice, R. (2012). Dermatological telemedicine diagnoses and andragogical training using web 2.0 mobile medicine video conferencing. In V. P. Dennen, & J. B. Myers (eds.). Virtual professional development and informal learning via social networks (pp. 279-296). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/virtual-professional-development-informal-learning/62626. 978-1-46661815-2. (50%)
- Batra, K., & Rice, R. (2012). Transcoded remediation and convergence: Spectacle, sleaze, and bollywood dreams in Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding. In S. Ponzanesi, & M. Waller (eds.). Postcolonial cinema studies (pp. 205-217). Oxford, England: Routledge. https://www.routledge.com/products/9780415782296. 978-0-415-78229-6. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2012). ePortfolios and the communicative intellect in online education. In S. Kelsey, & K. St.Amant (eds.). Computer mediated communication: Issues and approaches in education (pp. 62-73). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. http://www.igi-global.com/book/computer-mediated-communication/51945. 978-1-613-50077-4. (100%)
- Rice, R., & C. C. Papper. (2005). Multimodal composing: Teaching effective communication through exploring oral, chirographic, typographic, and electronic culture. In M. Day, & C. Lipson (eds.). Technical communications and the world wide web (pp. 295-304). NY: Allyn & Bacon. http://www.amazon.com. 978-0-805-84572-3. (50%)
- Rice, R. (2001). Composing the intranet-based electronic portfolio using "common" tools. In B. Cambridge, S. Kahn, D. P. Tompkins, & K. B. Yancey (eds.). Electronic portfolios: Emerging practices for student, faculty, and institutional learning (pp. 37-43). Washington, D.C.: The American Association for Higher Education. https://sty.presswarehouse.com. 978-1-563-77050-0. (100%)
- Rice, R., & St.Amant, K. (Eds.). (In Press). Thinking globally, composing locally: Rethinking online writing in the age of the global Internet. Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado/Utah State University Press. (50%)
- Wills, K. V., & Rice, R. (Eds.). (2013). ePortfolio performance support systems: Constructing, presenting, and assessing portfolios. Perspectives on Writing. Fort Collins, CO: The WAC Clearinghouse and Parlor Press. 239 ms. Pages. http://wac.colostate.edu/books/eportfolios. 978-1-60235-441-8. (50%)
- Reynolds, N., & Rice, R. (2006). Portfolio keeping: A guide for students. 2/e. New York, NY: Bedford. 110 ms. pages. http://amazon.com. 978-0-31241-909-7. (50%)
- Reynolds, N., & Rice, R. (2006). Portfolio teaching: A guide for teachers of college writing courses. 2/e. New York, NY: Bedford, 2006. 117 ms. pages. http://amazon.com. 978-0-31241911-0. (50%)
Awards / Sponsored Research
- TTU Department of English Visiting International Scholars, TTU Division of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement, 2017.
- Faculty Development Leave, TTU A&S, 2017.
- Visiting Research Professor, Southeast University (China), 2017.
- Synoptics Wordscape Exhibition, TTU Museum, 2016.
- Synoptics Wordscape Interactive Kiosk, TTU Humanities Center, 2015.
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar South and Central Asia Regional Travel Program (Sri Lanka), 2014.
- Visiting Research Professor, Ashoka University (India), Fall 2014.
- Transdisciplinary Research Academy Sponsored Research, TTU A&S, 2014.
- U.S. Fulbright-Nehru Scholars Award: Shifting Programmatic Studies in US-India English/Communication and Study Abroad Programs, 2014.
- Multicultural Course Transformation Project, TTU TLPDC, 2014.
- India Study Abroad/Exchange Sponsored Travel Grant, TTU Provost's Office, 2013.
- Service-Learning Faculty Fellow, TTU TLPDC, 2013.
- Developing the "Smart" Media Connect-Exchange Study Abroad Model, TTU A&S, 2013.
- Faculty Development Leave, TTU A&S, 2011.
- Visiting Research Professor, Central University of Kerala (India)Faculty Development Leave, TTU A&S, 2011., 2011.
- CPTSC Research Grant, Distance Learning and India, 2011.
- Course Redesign Project Grant, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board of Academic
Excellence and Research. PI, Grant proposal primary writer was J. Muñoz, with input
from F. Kemp and myself, 2008.
- Big 12 Faculty Fellowship Grant, “ISUComm, Technology, and New Media Research at Iowa State University,“ Spring 2007.
- TTU Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center Faculty Incentive Grant, “Digital Portfolio
as Praxis: English and Education Students Implement iMovie Video Clips to Assess Teaching”
(with J. Thomas, & P. Johnson), 2003.
New Media Exhibits
Rice, R. (2016). Synoptics wordscape exhibition, TTU Museum (with the TTU Humanities Center and New Media/Rhetoric graduate course).
Rice, R. (2016). Synoptics wordscape kiosk, TTU Museum (with the TTU Humanities Center and New Media/Rhetoric graduate course).
Rice, R. (2014). Living through chess thinking. LILA Foundation for Translocal Initiatives: The Luminous Idea of Life Appreciation. Our Warring Moves: Space, Conflict, Beauty Dialogues. New Delhi, India. http://www.lilainteractions.in/our-warring-moves/#loulou_d_aki
Rice, R. (2009). iPLAY, Lubbock Science Spectrum (with New Media/Rhetoric graduate course; an Interaction Design undergraduate class updated it to iPlay 2.0). Computer installation.