Dr. Still's research interests include medical discourse, theories of technology, online communities, Internet activism, medical discourse, techno-pedagogy, theories of technology, and open source issues.Inventions
Performances and Exhibitions
Service Awards and Honors
- Correlating pupil position to gaze location within a Scene (Calibration claims), App. No.: PCT/US13/60064, CR Ref. No.: 7090-00901, Priorities, US 61/705,724, filed September 26, 2012, US 14/023,942 filed September 11, 2013.
- Correlating pupil position to gaze location within a scene (Headset claims). App. No.: PCT/US13/60059, CR Ref. No.: 7090-00802, Priorities, US 61/705,724, filed September 26, 2012, US 14/023,780, filed September 11, 2013.
Software and Hardware
- EyeGuide Visualize and Analyze Software, 2013 (live remote viewing and eye tracking analytic software)
- EyeGuide Mobile Tracker, 2013 (mobile eye tracking research system)
- Grinbath EG, 2012 (wearable eye tracking and control system)
- EyeGuide Assist (mouse-replacement, eye tracking cursor-control software for assistive purposes)
- EyeGuide Capture Software, 2011 (calibration and realtime API software)
- Certified User Experience Professional (licensed by Texas Tech University), 2009
Selected Refereed Articles
- "Bodystorming with Hawkins' Block: Toward a New Methodology for Mobile Media Design." Co-Authored with Brett Oppeggard. Mobile Media & Communication. 1.3 (2013) 356-372.
- "The Blank-Page Technique: Reinvigorating Paper Prototyping in Usability Testing." IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. 53.2 (2010): 144-157.
- "Listening to Students: A Usability Evaluation of Instructor Commentary." Co-authored with Amy Koerber. Journal of Business and Technical Communication. 24.2 (2010): 206-233.
- "A Dozen Years After Open Source's 1998 Birth, It's Time for OpenTechComm." Journal of Technical Writing and Communication. 40.2 (2010): 219-228.
- "Talking to Students: Evaluating the Use of Embedded Voice Commenting for Critiquing Student Writing." Journal of Business and Technical Communication. 20.4 (2006): 460-475.
- "Internal Cultural Barriers to E-Commerce Implementation: A Case Study of How Ineffective Leadership Doomed XYZ's Online Transaction System." Co-authored with Kirk St. Amant.
- Handbook of Research on Open Source Software: Technological, Economic, and Social Perspectives. Co-edited with Kirk St. Amant. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2007.
- Usability Studies and Technical Communication. Co-edited with Michael J. Albers. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication. (2010).
- Online Health Communication. Co-edited with Amy Koerber. Technical Communication Quarterly. 17.3 (2008).
- "Hacking for a Cause." ICFAI Journal of Cyber Law, 5.1 (February 2006): 22-35.
- "An Open Source Primer." Reprinted in Global Information Technologies: Concepts, Tools and Applications. Ed. Felix Tan. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 37-51.
- "Making Our User Experience More Lean." Intercom, 61(7), 27-28.
- "Listening to Your Inner Scream: Do You Want to Start a Business?" Intercom, 60(3), 43-44.
- "SAP Usability: Lessons for Evaluating Process." Intercom, 59(9), 26-27.
- "Taking a Look at Low Fidelity Prototyping." Intercom, 58(4), 49-50.
- "What's Accessible for some is better for All." Intercom, 58(1), 28-29.
- "Usability for a Ubiquitous Computing World." Intercom, 57(7), 31-33.
- “A Comparison of Web-Based Collaboration Software.” IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.8 (September 2005).
- “Wireless VoIP: An Féidir leis Muid a Cheangailt le Chéile?” IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.6 (July 2005).
- "Considering Open Source Content Management Systems." IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.4 (May 2005).
- "A Quick Look at Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)." IEEE Professional Communication Society Newsletter 49.2 (March 2005).
- "Your Next Assignment: Computer Security Policy." Intercom 51.1 (January 2004): 6-9.
Artistic and Professional Performances and Exhibits
- "What's the Next Telephone: Augmented Reality and Eye Tracking." TED, Lubbock, TX USA. (September 29, 2012).
Service Awards and Honors
- Emily K. Schlesinger Award, IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). (July 15, 2009).
- Usability of Complex Information Systems: Evaluation of User Interaction (pp. 371). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press (Taylor and Francis). 2010.
- Online Intersex Communities: Virtual Neighborhoods of Support and Activism (pp. 180). Amherst, NY: Cambria Press. 2008.
- Brian Still and Kirk St. Amant (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Open Source Software (pp. 400). Hershey, PA: IGI Press. 2007.