Wenthe has written four books of poems: God's Foolishness (2016); Words Before Dawn (2012); Not Till We Are Lost (2003); and Birds of Hoboken (1995). Not Till We Are Lost won the Best Book of Poetry Award from the Texas Institute of Letters. His awards include fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and Texas Commission on the Arts, and two Pushcart Prizes. He has published poems in journals including Poetry, The Paris Review, The Georgia Review, Tin House, Orion, TriQuarterly, and The Southern Review. In addition, he teaches 20th Century British Poetry and has written articles on Yeats, H. D., poetic form and literary theory.
Poetry and interviews published in anthologies including:
- Poets on Place. Utah State University Press, 2005.
- Birds in the Hand: Fiction and Poetry about Birds. North Point Press, 2004.
- Pushcart Prize XXV and XXVII.
- Texas in Poetry, 2. TCU Press, 2002.
Published in journals including:
- Poetry, The Paris Review, The Georgia Review, TriQuarterly, The Southern Review, Orion, Tin House, Chelsea, Poetry East, Tar Tiver Poetry, Smartish Pace, Cimarron Review, Southern Humanities Review, The Literary Review, Southwest Review, Poet Lore, Ascent, and many others.
- Everett Southwest Literary Award for book manuscript, Words Before Dawn, 2009
- Research Enhancement Fund, Texas Tech University, 2008
- Arts and Humanities Initiative, Texas Tech University, Spring 2007
- President’s Book Award, Texas Tech University, Spring 2006
- Texas Institute of Letters, Natalie Ornish Best Book of Poetry Award
- Faculty Development Leave, Texas Tech University, Spring 2004
- Pushcart Prize for poem, “Heron,” 2004
- Pushcart Prize for poem, “Hammering Stones,” 2000
- Texas Commission on the Arts: Texas Writing Fellowship in Poetry, 1st Place, 1999
- Alumni Association New Faculty Award, Texas Tech University, 1996.
- National Endowment for the Arts: Fellowship in Poetry, 1995
- Fellow in Poetry, Wesleyan Writers Conference, 1998
- TTU Research Enhancement Fund Travel Grant, 1994-95
- Gloria Lyerla Research Travel Grant, 1993