The Department of English welcomes applications for MA and PhD degrees in Literature, Linguistics or Creative Writing. Areas of specialization include:
• Early British Literature
• Later British Literature
• American Literature
• Creative Writing
• Comparative Literature, Globalization & Translation (CLGT)
• Film & Media Studies
• Literature, Social Justice & Environment (LSJE)
• Book History/Digital Humanities (BHDH)
TTU and the English Department offers approximately $100,000 in competitive scholarships and fellowships each year. All students admitted to the onsite graduate program are automatically considered for teaching assistantships, tuition waivers, scholarships, and fellowships.
Required Applications and Documents
Applications and all supporting documents must be received by the appropriate deadlines. Applicants must hold a master's degree to begin their doctoral studies.
Application fees for 2018-2019 Onsite programs in Lubbock have been waived (email the Grad Advisor for a voucher code.)
Your application should include the following:
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 8-10 page (or longer) critical writing sample for literature and linguistics applicants and a creative writing sample for creative writing applicant
- 700-word statement of purpose outlining your interest in our graduate program
- GRE Scores
- 3 letters of recommendation
The application deadline for students wishing to begin online MA study in Spring 2019 is November 1, 2018.
The application deadline for students wishing to begin study online and onsite MA or PhD study in Fall 2019 is January 15, 2019.
Successful applications to the MA program in English typically show the following:
- 3.75 GPA in all undergraduate English courses
- Scores of 156 on the verbal and 146 on the quantitative portions of the GRE General Exam with a score of 5.0 on the writing portion
Successful applications to the PhD program in English typically show the following:
- An MA in English, an MFA in English or Creative Writing, or an MA or MFA in a related field plus a minimum of 12 hours of graduate coursework in English. We do not admit applicants with a bachelor's degree directly into our doctoral program.
- A 3.85 GPA in all graduate English courses
- Scores of 160 on the verbal and 148 on the quantitative portions of the GRE General Exam with a score of 5.0 on the writing portion