Texas Tech University

The Teacher Certification Specialization

Students seeking a provisional certificate with English Language Arts for grades 8-12 as a teaching field may satisfy the requirement in English through the Bachelor of Arts degree. Certification requirements are determined by the State Board for Educator Certification and are subject to change with immediate effect. A grade of C or better in all English courses is required, but the resulting English grade point average must be 2.75 or higher in order to achieve certification.

Requirements for the English (Teacher Certification) concentration are listed below for the 2016 catalog.

The courses are described here in the undergraduate cataloghttp://catalog.ttu.edu/index.php.

You may also view an online concentration document for catalog versions 2016 and prior.

You will be required to complete or have credit for English 1301, 1302, and two courses in 2000-level English from the following list: 2305, 2306, 2307, 2308, 2311, 2351, 2371, 2388, or 2391. Majors in this specialization must also complete 27 hours in advanced courses (3000- or 4000-level). The courses you may choose from are listed below:

I. 3000 Level Courses

A. World Literature and Diversity

  • Take ONE of the following: ENGL 3335, 3336, 3337, 3338, 3382, 3383, 3384, 3386, 3387, 3389, 3390, or 3391

B. Period Courses

Take ONE from each category:

  • British Lit Before 1700: ENGL 3302, 3304, 3305, or 3385
  • British Lit After 1700: ENGL 3307, 3308, or 3309
  • American Literature: ENGL 3323, 3324, 3325, 3387, or 3390

*While ENGL 3387 is both World Literature and American Literature, it can only be used once. It cannot be used to count in more than one category.*

C. Language

  • Take ONE of the following: ENGL 3371, 3372, 3373, 4371, or 4373

D. Composition

  • Take ONE of the following: 3360 or 4360
  • ENGL 3365: Professional Report Writing

E. Elective

  • Take ONE ENGL elective on the 3000 or 4000 level

V. Senior Elective

  • Take ONE Senior ENGL elective from the following list: ENGL 4300, 4301, 4311, 4312, 4313, 4314, 4315, 4321, 4342, 4351, 4371, or 4373

The English Department also suggests you go to the State Board of Educator Certification website and print off the standards for English Language Arts, Grades 8-12. That 12 page document details all the skills they want you to have as a high school English teacher. We believe you should do a self-evaluation, analyzing your strengths and weaknesses and taking courses that will build up your weak areas. The long list of skills associated with grammar, syntax, and the history of the English language led to the strong recommendation that you take an addition course from the Language category as your English elective. The courses that would probably benefit you the most are English 3371, 3372, and 3373. For more information on the TechTeach program, please contact the secondary education advisor in the College of Education.


Frequently Asked Questions

What if I want to teach younger kids?

There are three programs here at Tech to train teachers. For the little kids up to grade 3 the program is managed by the College of Human Sciences. You major in Early Childhood. For grades 4-8 you go to the College of Education and major in Multidisciplinary Studies. For grades 8-12 you major in the field in which you wish to teach.

What if I want to teach English at the college or university level?

Then you do not have to do the Teacher Certification option at all. Choose one of the other specializations; get your Bachelor's degree and then go on to graduate school. You learn your teaching skills in grad school. The Teacher Certification option is only for those who want to teach English in the state of Texas to grades 8-12.

What about special education? Bilingual education? All-level certification? Getting certified after I graduate?

All of those good questions can be answered by the advisors in the College of Education.