Texas Tech University

I Have a Transfer Course or a Study Abroad Course that I Need the English or Philosophy Dept to Evaluate

Note: This does not include graduate courses , English 1301 and 1302, or Technical Communication courses.

When you send a transcript from another institution to Texas Tech, it is translated into Texas Tech equivalents by the Transfer Evaluation office. If you want to have the English or Philosophy Depts review one or more course(s) after Transfer Evaluation has done their work, the procedure below is what you follow. This is also the procedure to follow for pre-approval of study abroad courses. English and Philosophy do not evaluate courses that fall into other subject areas. Note, however, that if you are a prospective student and you wish to have your entire transcript evaluated prior to your arrival at Texas Tech, you may submit your information online.

As a non-teaching staff member, I do not do the evaluations myself. I do, however, facilitate this process so you begin with me. The process is the same for a course already taken or for the pre-approval of courses to be taken in a study abroad program.

Step One: You may drop in or make an appointment . Typically, we need at least a course description, better yet is the syllabus. Sometimes, but rarely, we can work with just the title. I will also ask you questions about your expectations of/hopes for the use of the course as well as ways to contact you once I've gotten the evaluation.

Study abroad: There is a form that Study Abroad needs me to fill in. You might bring that along, especially if you are an English or Philosophy major since I need to sign it signifying that you are “in good standing” with the University. Also, if we've evaluated the course before and recently, I may be able to make this into a one-step process and do it all at one time.

Course descriptions for most coursework need to be from the catalog that was in effect when you took the course. Catalogs are accessible in a variety of ways.

1)You may still have your copy. Be careful though. It may not be the year for which you need it.

2)The department in that institution may have their own archive.

3)The institution certainly will have an archive somewhere. It may be that their library is archiving it for them. It may be on microfiche.

Study abroad course descriptions are usually from the materials provided to you by the Study Abroad office or from websites maintained by the various programs themselves.

Syllabi must be from that exact course (exact teacher and exact semester in which it was taken). The syllabus for a course taken at another U.S. institution may be obtained in a variety of ways:

1)You may still have it.

2)You may be able to get it from the teacher or from the teacher's website.

3)You may contact the department of that institution for a copy. Departments are required to keep copies of syllabi, but you don't want to wait too long before you try and acquire a copy from them. Eventually they run out of room, box them up, and store them in some dusty, out-of-the-way place that's hard to access. So when you ask for it, you may get the run-around.

Study abroad syllabi for pre-approval of courses can often be obtained with the help of the study abroad counselors if it isn't available via the web. Once you have taken the course bring back the syllabus the teacher gave you so we can look at it again. This time, however, give it to your study abroad counselor who will send it to us once the transcript has arrived.

U.S. courses are typically fairly easy to understand, because most use a standard labeling system with letters signifying the subject and three or four digit numbers identifying level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and perhaps, the credit hours to be earned. However, some U.S. institutions and many study abroad programs use different systems so be on the look-out for this and inquire, if need be, as to information that can help us figure out the level of the course.

Step Two: I will take the course to the appropriate person in the department. Although I usually have a quick turn-around, there are times when there is a delay if the person is away from the office or particularly busy, or worse, loses the form on his/her desk. This is the step when you will want to schedule into your planner something like “Check with English/Philosophy advisor re: course evaluation.” Then contact me so I can follow-up.

Step Three: When I have the evaluation and am ready to report to you, I will contact you. At that point I will tell you the decision and what will result if any changes are to be made in the initial evaluation.

Study abroad forms are filled in at this point. The English and Philosophy Depts always fill in the column that implies a tentative decision. We want to re-evaluate the course with the syllabus you actually used and some of the coursework you completed so you actually have a Step Four, although this has typically been done for you by Study Abroad once you have returned, given them your materials, and the transcript has been received from the other institution. Sometimes a course judged to be one thing will be upon re-evaluation discovered to be something entirely different. For example, a course labeled as cross-listed in both English and Theatre may have been evaluated as an English course when we read the catalog description, but may change to a Theatre course once the syllabus and course materials are reviewed.

Frequently asked questions:

How do I find out what will transfer to Tech in the future?

You may submit your information online to the Transfer Evaluation Office or go here for information on how to use the Transfer Evaluation tables yourself. This will work only if the Transfer Evaluation Office has a table created for that institution and has reviewed the courses(s) in the past.