Financial Aid Workshop for College Access Professionals
Welcome to the 2019 Financial Aid Workshop!
Friday, July 26th
Check-in: 8:30 with coffee and muffins
Workshop: 9am-4pm, lunch provided
3911 4th Street
Lubbock, TX 79415
Session Presentation Slides:
- Telling the Financial Aid Story
- Financial aid works essentially the same way no matter where a student chooses to go to college.
- Topics include: financial aid applications; Expected Family Contribution; institutional scholarships (general/merit); other requirements; external scholarships; earned assistance; borrowed assistance; timelines.
- The Language of Financial Aid
- Why comparing schools can be so hard!
- Topics include: terms used differently by institutions; what to compare on financial aid notifications; common misconceptions. Words set expectations and can clarify or confuse students.
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- The FAFSA kicks off the financial aid process.
- Topics include: Who needs an FSA ID? Common mistakes to avoid; Data Retrieval Tool; using the myStudentAid app as a tool.
- Education and the American Dream
- What financial aid is available to students new to the US and how to access it.
- Topics include: non-US citizens; Texas residents; DACA; Dreamers; undocumented students/parents; TASFA; strategies and timelines.
- Unique Students and Situations
- Helping students with unusual stories.
- Topics include: Special Circumstances; dependency; foster and homeless student.
- Verification Demystified
- About 30% of students who complete the FAFSA are selected for Verification.
- Topics include: types of verification; requirements; and forms; strategies to help students resolve Verification.
- Is Loan a 4 Letter Word?
- Many students will use student loans to help fund their education.
- Topics include: trends; types of student loans; strategies for minimizing student debt; resources for students.
Questions? Laura Scott firstname.lastname@example.org 806-834-3933