In the Media
Op-Eds and Short Articles
2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013
- December 22, 2014 — Immigration as political theater — Chicago Tribune — Benjamin Powell discusses the modest changes enacted and the possible economic
consequences of President Obama's executive order on immigration. This op-ed also
ran in several other newspapers nationwide.
- November 12, 2014 — Free Markets 25 Years After the Berlin Wall — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses institutional reform supportive of economic freedom and
economic progress that has taken place in central and eastern Europe since the fall
of the Berlin Wall.
- October 13, 2014 — The Future of Hong Kong's Freedom? — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses the recent student protests in light of the potential
impact of democratic reforms on the level of economic freedom in Hong Kong.
- August 26, 2014 — Market Forces Should Regulate Smoking — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses the economic aspects of the proposed smoking ban in Lubbock.
- August 15, 2014 — Market Basket's Forgotten Customers — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell addresses the recent media coverage of worker strikes at Market
Basket distribution centers emphasizing that the primary responsibility of for-profit
businesses is to satisfy the demands of consumers, not workers.
- August 15, 2014 — Citibank's $7 billion 'settlement' — The Hill — Edward Stringham discusses the implications of Citibank's recent settlement with
the Department of Justice and the unintended consequences of affordable housing policies.
- July 30, 2014 — Plain packaging is a losing strategy in the fight against smoking — City A.M. — Edward Stringham discusses the economic impacts and potential unintended consequences
of efforts to impose plain packaging regulations on cigarette manufacturers.
- July 29, 2014 — Children at the Border Are Not a Crisis for Americans — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell weighs in on the debate surrounding the ongoing migration of children
from Latin America to the southwest border of the United States.
- June 30, 2014 — Powell: Setting realistic prices could help cities conserve water
— Lubbock Avalanche-Journal — The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal ran Benjamin Powell's recent op-ed on the public management of scarce water resources.
- June 20, 2014 — Water: The Price is Wrong — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses the economic implications of public management and the
advantages that market forces provide in the allocation of scarce water resources.
- May 30, 2014 — Celebrate Imports — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses the importance of international trade to global prosperity
following the celebration of World Trade Week, which concluded on May 24.
- April 23, 2014 — Bangladesh's Factory Collapse: A One-Year Retrospective — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell discusses the continued calls for stricter safety regulations for
garment factories within the broader context of worker productivity, wages and living
standards in Bangladesh.
- April 19, 2014 — Movilidad en el Ingreso y Políticas Públicas — Diario Altavoz — Diario Altavoz published a Spanish translation of Benjamin Powell's op-ed titled "Government Policies Harm Income Mobility," originally published on March 4, 2014, by Huffington Post.
- April 4, 2014 — Powell: Affording Tesla the freedom to fail — The Washington Times — Benjamin Powell shares his perspective on the recent media coverage of state-level
bans on direct sales of automobiles to consumers.
- March 4, 2014 — Policies Harm Income Mobility — Huffington Post — Benjamin Powell responds to the recent political focus on issues related to income
inequality and upward mobility in the United States.
[Back to In the Media Main Page] [Back to Top]